Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Gary Remington
Dec 16, 2015
My Dad showed me how to split wood when in my early teens. We used an eight pound sledge hammer, we called it a “maul” and steel wedges.We had a couple of 30 foot Chinese Elm trees to work on,…

From "Maul vs. Axe" »

Mary
Dec 14, 2015
I looked out the window on my parents farm and saw what looked like German Shepherds crossing the field. I watched carefully because it is unusual to see neighbors’ dogs loose on other people’s property. They raise cattle in…

From "Canis soupus: The Eastern Coy-Wolf" »

Dave Coulter
Dec 14, 2015
Really nice article!  Great that you gave more depth of info in the article.  Mushrooms really do seem to be a kingdom of their own. Very informative.  Nice job.

From "When Mushrooms Attack" »

Bill Shaw
Dec 14, 2015
First:  great article, practical and nice tips, e.g. the fan in frig.  We have five decades and can add a tip or two.  Avoid sun, but don’t worry about daytime temps above 40.  Even 50-60,…

From "Lessons in Butchering Venison" »

Wayne O'Neill
Dec 13, 2015
I have one that hangs around my yard/shop that seems to have been here this summer and last winter. Very curious as he pops in and out of my shop to say hi now and then. In the summer…

From "Weasels Begin to Put on Winter Whites" »

Don
Dec 11, 2015
Not that pieces of lead bullets may not be contributing to lead levels in these birds but shouldn’t the study have indicated what levels of lead content those 500 pieces of lead bullet were raising the sheep carcasses to and…

From "Making the Switch to Lead-Free Bullets" »

Tamas
Dec 09, 2015
Excellent article, thanks! I will teach it to my kids on our next hike :-)

From "Why Do Some Leaves Persist On Beech and Oak Trees Well Into Winter?" »

Rita Pitkin
Dec 08, 2015
Fascinating! Thanks. ❤️ chickadees

From "Good News for the Birdbrained" »

Gallager
Dec 05, 2015
Dave, Having personal experience both as a midnight-stoker and recently a medium-rare wiener, I woke my dog up and nearly fell out of my rocking chair laughing! All great character building exercises that you represent perfectly. All the best Sir.

From "The Midnight Stoker" »

Robert Hutchins
Dec 01, 2015
Hello Mark, 1,600 Wow! I planted 100 three year bare root from Miller Nursery 12-13 years ago. Years later I planted another 75 bare root and have taken nuts from the largest Black Walnut tree in VT and planted in pots and nursed…

From "Revisiting a Black Walnut Plantation" »

dave coulter
Nov 30, 2015
Nice general review.  Good to have someome with real time experience do a review under real use conditions.  Thank you.

From "Charged-Up Chainsaws" »

dave coulter
Nov 30, 2015
Another great article from you folks.  I am glad to see you mentioned the need for wildlife corridors.  Our roadways (especially the higher speed ones) are an extreme danger and with fall being a high movement time for…

From "The Apple Bears" »

Carolyn
Nov 28, 2015
The deer had been cleaning up apple drops in our yard for weeks, then abruptly stopped for the past month. The drops were piling up fast in their absence. Then, abruptly, the other morning every shred of apple was gone …

From "The Apple Bears" »

Rob Hutchins
Nov 27, 2015
I have forty acres in Hartland and wood like to get some butternut nuts from healthy trees to plant in my woods. Does anyone know where I could find 50 or so?

From "Their Goal: Saving the Butternut Tree" »

Ranger Christy
Nov 27, 2015
We have several beaver lodges in our wetlands here.  One beaver lodge seems to have disappeared. It was there one day in the middle of the pond and a few days later, not trace of it at all. Do…

From "Tracking Tips: Beavers at Home for the Winter" »

Ben Jeffries
Nov 27, 2015
Thank you.  I did a Google search for black timber rattlesnakes to see if the snake that crossed the path of my brother’s wedding party was indeed a rattler.  (I had never heard of a jet black…

From "Timber Rattlesnakes" »

Dave
Nov 24, 2015
Yes you can tap them. There’s no difference in boiling technique. I’d recommend two taps maximum for tree health. The amount of sap you’d get out of an extra tap hole is not generally worth the stress…

From "When Tapping, Don't Disregard Red Maple" »

Gabrielle Knight
Nov 24, 2015
I was recently hiking and came across a bunch of apples in an open area where it’s fairly coniferous and where there were absolutely no apple trees.  Do bears hoard apples?  Would they have transported the apples…

From "The Apple Bears" »

Sharon
Nov 23, 2015
We live on a 100 acre farm and I put scraps/food out in the evenings for our skunks (most I’ve counted was 10 during summer) 2 gray foxes and an opossum.  I have a “critter cam” set up where I…

From "The Winter Life of the Skunk" »

Leila Oertel
Nov 23, 2015
Hmmm, I wonder if that is why one of my apples suddenly (like overnight) lost all of its fruit. I thought there might be a bear in the area. And I didn’t think deer would clean out an overladen…

From "The Apple Bears" »