Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Dave Coulter
Nov 13, 2015
Nice article and very good advice. I have been on a lot of forays with a mycologist that has a doctorate and he always stresses the “old and bold” on most every foray. It is so much easier (and fun)…

From "Hunting Mushrooms: The Old Not Bold Approach" »

Dick Pearson
Nov 13, 2015
Clever, well-written.  As the old joke line goes, “It only hurts when I laugh.”

From "The Midnight Stoker" »

Kathleen Disler
Nov 13, 2015
This is so funny. My former husband used to get our wood stove so hot it glowed. I was usually a nervous wreck certain he would burn our home down. I had such a sinus infection all winter because of…

From "The Midnight Stoker" »

Ed
Nov 12, 2015
I had three skunks under my storage shed and shop since July. They were raiding my cats dish on my front porch. I got to going out in the evening and setting when they came out and talking to them.…

From "The Winter Life of the Skunk" »

Ben
Nov 10, 2015
Thank you Mr. Snyder for a most concise and informative article. My home town is known as the ‘City of Oaks’ and will typically produce very high quantities of acorns. Last year was an exceptionally high yield. This year, almost…

From "Woods Whys: Acorns and Weather" »

Tim
Nov 09, 2015
Ax or Maul?? Well I use both. Ax for the smaller stuff, maul for the bigger stuff. We have a type of tree that grows here like weeds. I have been told that it is called Manitoba Maple. It is…

From "Maul vs. Axe" »

Todd Fortner
Nov 07, 2015
I have logged in this tri-state area for 33 years. I have seen plenty of coyotes, but I have seen the Coy-wolf animal for most of my career, too.

From "Canis soupus: The Eastern Coy-Wolf" »

Jackie Brodeur
Nov 07, 2015
I’m impressed with the book written by James Mavor and Byron Dix: “Manitou.” It gives very convincing evidence that some stone structures in New England were technically very sophisticated, ritualized, astronomically accurate, features which have been studied and attributed…

From "Lost Histories: The Story of New England's Stone Chambers" »

Nancy Hensley
Nov 07, 2015
We too were inundated with acorns last season… Almost three acres of what seemed to be ball-bearings covering our yard to the extent that one put themselves at risk approaching the hillsides.  We had an outdoor wedding in October…

Susan
Nov 07, 2015
I saw hundreds of worms with yellow heads and tails weaving all over the show, with lots in one woven nest, they are not very big, about 2cm and fairly thin. I am wondering what they become.

From "Transformations: Which Caterpillar Becomes Which Butterfly?" »

Joan Cudhea
Nov 05, 2015
I subscribe AND receive from NEFF to which my parents gave land in Middleton. Friend Pike Messenger sent me article on witches broom. Love your magazine!

From "Witch’s Brooms" »

Terri
Nov 03, 2015
After reading your article and the comments afterwards, I can only say we’ve had a wet and cold spring, a so-so summer and so far a warmer fall than usual.  After years of having acorns bombard our house…

Debra Kearney
Nov 03, 2015
I found a pale yellow large caterpillar with a dark brown head in my yard. Waxy looking….what is he????

From "Transformations: Which Caterpillar Becomes Which Butterfly?" »

Elizabeth
Nov 03, 2015
Please let us know where we can obtain moth eggs. Do we go to an Ag university near us? Can we get moths that are also native to our area from you? You mention a person you got them from,…

From "Night Flyers: North American Silk Moths Face Invasive Challenge" »

Billy
Nov 03, 2015
Your articles are a great help, thank you

From "When is the Best Time for Sugarmakers to Tap their Maple Trees?" »

Rob Reiber
Nov 02, 2015
I had heard that witches brooms from balsam fir, spread to blueberry bushes caused the blueberry to ‘broom’, and ceased their production of blueberries.  The fungus or disease often spread through mulches spread around the bush.  Wondering if…

From "Witch’s Brooms" »

Kevin Welch
Nov 01, 2015
This article has solved what was a mystery to me. The trees in my area seem to have seeded no earlier than 1938 or so.  Many I have cut date to this time regardless of the size.  I had…

From "One for the Ages: The Hurricane of 1938 Battered New England's Woods 75 Years Ago" »

Kat
Oct 29, 2015
Jenn in PA, I know this is almost a year after your post, but we just happened to make scones with whole autumn olive berries in them, in place of raisins. They were delicious (much less tart than raw).

From "Autumn Olive" »

Mobius Wolf
Oct 28, 2015
Very good article Ross. I never thought of carving it green. Much better than trying to keep logs and splits from checking.  It’ll certainly save on anchor seal. Which is what I use to paint the ends, BTW.

From "Make Your Own Axe Handle" »

Lois Hoyt
Oct 28, 2015
I live in Maine. Are there any short tail mice…or would it be a vole or mole??  I saw something yesterday about 6” long w/ a short tail. 

From "Shrew or Mole? Mouse or Vole?" »