Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Jessica O'Hare
Nov 15, 2013
Beautifully written! Did you have to throw away your darling before posting this one?

From "Killing Your Darling" »

John Burgoon
Nov 12, 2013
Thank you, sir, for an excellent tutorial. We are building some top bar hives for our new property and look forward to trying your method. We saw many honeybees this summer so we know there’s a hive close by.…

From "Bee Lining: The Oldtimers' Way to Find Wild Beehives" »

Bendrix Bailey
Nov 07, 2013
While splitting oak, I found a large, orange grub inside the log.  I’ve never seen another like it.  After photographing it, I placed it in a standing white pine, compromised by a lightning strike, in the hope…

From "Life in Your Logs" »

Ted Watt
Nov 07, 2013
Rachel Thanks so much for your article about winter tadpoles.  I knew some of what you wrote about, but I loved how you presented the 4 factors that influence how quickly tadpoles develop.  I never thought about their situation…

From "The Tadpoles of Winter" »

Carl Strand
Nov 04, 2013
Dave, Not New England or New York, but I was stationed in Adak, Alaska in 1964 to 1966.  I was a Coast Guard Lieutenant commanding a Loran Station on the island.  We had a “White Alice” installation on the island…

From "A Line in the Sky" »

Leslie
Nov 02, 2013
My mom has 2 butternut trees on her property. One is very old and only produces a few nuts a year, I doubt it is infected I have not seen signs of it.  My sister told me of another and…

From "Their Goal: Saving the Butternut Tree" »

Michael
Nov 02, 2013
This type of conservation is why bird hunters and their organizations, such as Ducks unlimited, are so important in the overall conservation efforts to protect birds and their habitat.  Charles is right when he suggested that other species benefit…

From "Woods for the Woodcock" »

William C Rupp
Nov 01, 2013
Thank you so much. My father would take me and my brother out to do this when I was about 5. Recently when I talked with my brother about this and looked at the old bee boxes we where not sure…

From "Bee Lining: The Oldtimers' Way to Find Wild Beehives" »

Anthony Denton
Nov 01, 2013
While doing routine winter maintenance on wood duck nesting boxes in Jan of 2004, a cache of meadow voles was found in a box. Shortly after, during a period of extreme cold (-20C) which lasted at least seven days, the…

From "Brainy Birds Stash Stores, Thwart Thieves" »

tim soutiere
Nov 01, 2013
I think a new revision is needed to open these lands to the public for current use. The states’ departments need to start working together. Fish and Game is trying to get more land opened to hunting, this would be…

From "Debunking Misinformation About Vermont's Current Use Program" »

Pamela H.
Oct 26, 2013
I was rescuing a guinea pig near the woods (someones Pet) and I thrust my hand (like an idiot) into a fuzzy bunch of green leaves. A neighbor called it poison ivy but I have to say it was worse.…

From "Avoiding Rash Decisions: A Guide to Plants You Shouldn't Touch" »

Dave
Oct 22, 2013
They can survive pretty low water conditions, Judie, so I wouldn’t worry. And they won’t move into your house. They love cattails (they eat the roots in winter, so the brown foliage on top doesn’t matter), so…

From "In Homes on Ice, Muskrats Endure the Season" »

Bob Young
Oct 22, 2013
The best way how to cut a tree which leans different direction than you need it to fall down is to have a helper. Number one, you should always have safety gear like a hard head, safety glasses and gloves.…

From "Felling Trees Against the Lean" »

Judie Caflisch
Oct 22, 2013
There is a muscrat family living in a small pond near our house.  I do not know the depth of the pond and am wondering if muscrats can survive in this condition?  The pond is surrounded by grasses…

From "In Homes on Ice, Muskrats Endure the Season" »

Stephen Kutney
Oct 21, 2013
In the past 10 years or so, twice, I’ve used a brush saw to cut the beech in my woods. The saw did a great job but the stripped maple and beech have returned in force. I’m losing this…

From "Got Fern? Controlling Native Invasive Plants" »

Dan Williams
Oct 21, 2013
I’ve had this happen to me once - a deer that I hit and didn’t recover - one that I never found out was whether it had survived my arrow or not.  It is not a good…

From "And Then He's a Hunter" »

Grant Taylor
Oct 21, 2013
Dave, Beautiful piece!  I appreciated reading this immensely this morning, and I’m feeling (and sharing) the pain of our mutual friend. There’s not much that even a good friend can say to take away the sort of…

phil thompson
Oct 21, 2013
I’d like to make handles for my tools,hammer,axes and a custom handle for hatches. Thank you for any help you might have. Phil

From "Make Your Own Axe Handle" »

Daniel Little
Oct 21, 2013
Dave - Great story,sad story. Some of us have been there. Should be required reading for all hunters new or old. Tell Hiya the sadness will eventually fade.

Carolyn
Oct 20, 2013
I don’t hunt and don’t want to. But I know something about the feeling of the lost-deer aftershock . . . from hitting one with a car. We didn’t know for sure what the impact had done. We couldn’t…