Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

stephen philbrick
Oct 19, 2013
Dear Dave, Thank you for telling the hard truth. Sometimes the best stories don’t have an end, but a deepening. They always make us feel included and I, neither hunter, nor an opponent of hunters, was included in the…

From "And Then He's a Hunter" »

dave
Oct 18, 2013
To the Stewarts: the Vigilant 1977 is a fine stove, and yes, assuming it’s in good operating condition, it’s perfectly safe to install and use. The EPA approval relates to emissions—that stove won’t burn as cleanly as…

From "Your Thoughts on Woodstoves" »

Robert Mancuso
Oct 18, 2013
That you tried to find the deer is what matters, having been in the same situation with friends and not finding the deer does bother me, but not half as bad as people I know who, after a few minutes,…

karen jackson
Oct 18, 2013
Could have been a she.  I shot a rabbit when I was hunting with my dad when I was 12, that was 55 years ago.  There was blood.  I’m glad to have had the experience, but don’t…

ed
Oct 18, 2013
Dave, Yes, the story is blunt and unvarnished, but it is also well told. Thanks. Ed

Madeline Bodin
Oct 18, 2013
This is sad and beautiful. Like the column you wrote about taking a young friend fishing for the first time, I have to say thank you for writing such a powerful, honest piece.

Vasilios Asimakos
Oct 16, 2013
Wouldn’t it take the same amount of time to get back up north as it does to get down south?  Can we determine when they leave their wintering grounds that way?

From "Feathered Whirlwinds Heading South" »

Vasilios Asimakos
Oct 16, 2013
Our environment with or without our human filter is fascinating.  Do other insects lack lungs as well?  What other kinds of natural scuba divers are there?

From "Beetles and Bubbles, Above and Below" »

The Stewarts
Oct 16, 2013
We just purchased a used vc vigilant 1977 stove with glass doors, someone informed us its not epa approved! We were so excited to install it, is it going to be unsafe? Thanks.

From "Your Thoughts on Woodstoves" »

Raye Duke
Oct 13, 2013
This was truly a article, I ran across it by accident, I was searching for The Sugar Hill Craftsmen of Lisbon, N.H., in the process I couldn’t help but read and enjoy the workmanship it takes to make…

From "Rake and Splay: How I Learned to Make a Windsor Chair" »

Betty Waidlich
Oct 10, 2013
From my grandfather I inherited what was said to be a maul. It has a four inch wooden handle,  and is attached to a heavy piece of wood that is about six inches in width and is circular -…

From "Maul vs. Axe" »

JIm Andrews
Oct 10, 2013
In response to John’s question, all our (north eastern) snakes can swim and are sometimes seen in water, but watersnakes are master swimmers that can dive, hide under submerged rocks, chase fish underwater, or swim with only their heads…

From "Have You Seen This Snake?" »

Henry Homeyer
Oct 10, 2013
Hi Michael, Would you be willing to be interviewed by me for my weekly gardening column? I’m in several Vermont papers including the Herald, Times-Argus, Reformer and Caledonian-Record. I am keenly interested in knowing more about root growth, particularly…

From "What Do Tree Roots Do in Winter?" »

diana.louise.wakefield
Oct 10, 2013
It is raining and windy here this morning, October 10th, and while looking out the window at my poplar, maple and pecan, I noticed that the pecan still looks like it’s spring with full healthy green leaves blowing beautifully…

From "Why Do Some Leaves Persist On Beech and Oak Trees Well Into Winter?" »

Glenda
Oct 08, 2013
I have a question. Near my house is a small tree trunk, approx. 12 inches high and 8 inches in diameter. It is covered with a white spreading growth that looks like vanilla frosting. I have never ever seen this before. Does…

From "What Causes Those White Splotches on Tree Bark? Are They Bad For The Tree?" »

Brandon Hanson
Oct 08, 2013
I have an unbelievable amount of Praying Mantis around my house! I have been watching them through out the year from the time they were nymphs to grown adults. I have at least 2 different species, the European and I believe…

From "The Truth About Praying Mantises" »

Daryle Thomas
Oct 08, 2013
I heard, a long time ago, that some folks from out of town asked a Vermont State Police officer if he knew why the leaves turned so colorful in the fall. The officer, with a perfectly straight face, replied that…

From "Autumn Foliage Has Botanists Red in the Face" »

Joanne Del Deo
Oct 07, 2013
My husband just found a 4 toed salamander in our garage. It’s tail broke off as soon as he tried to pick it up and the tail was wiggling furiously while the animal itself lay quietly. We are having a…

From "Sixteen Toes and a Break-away Tail" »

John Snell
Oct 07, 2013
What other snakes might commonly be found in the water in Vermont? I watched an unidentified snake in Chickering Bog (East Montpelier) last summer.

Joe Steiniger
Oct 07, 2013
They may not be dangerous, but they are most assuredly aggressive (for their tiny little teeth). I have been chased off of my dock (on an Adirondack pond) more than once. They are common on local ponds, and bask on…