Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Thom
Jun 26, 2015
I’ve a problem complicated by another problem. 1. I’ve 2 Spruce with trunk diameters of about 14+ inches. One was blown into, and prevented from falling by, the second such that one tree which is not cut is fully leaning into…

From "Felling Trees Against the Lean" »

Trish Bartlett
Jun 26, 2015
I just found my oak truck covered with head-down, dead gypsy moth caterpillars. 6/26/15. Thank you for the informative article. I will let the spores continue!

From "Entomophaga maimaiga" »

Elise Tillinghast
Jun 25, 2015
Hey there - in response to your question, we contacted a tree expert who helped to fact check this article. He wasn’t able to confirm that Norway maple seeds are edible. So, out of an abundance of caution, best…

From "Maple’s Other Delicacy" »

Greenleeph
Jun 22, 2015
Is Norway Maple, being non-native, inedible?

From "Maple’s Other Delicacy" »

Amy Salisbury
Jun 21, 2015
I don’t know a lot about birds, but I found a lovely straw cup shaped nest in a thorny bush 4 or 5 feet up. It had 5 blue speckled/mottled eggs in it. I was pruning the bush back, and I…

From "Which Bird Made That Nest?" »

Richard Sutton
Jun 20, 2015
I have a wild grape growing on my property. The main stem is as big as my upper arm, and it grows huge quantities of vines every season. It also produces, by mid-May, hundreds and hundreds of clusters of tiny…

From "Harvesting the Wild Grape" »

Diane Mason
Jun 19, 2015
I planted a locus tree this past November. It is now mid June and still has not leafed out. When I cut off a bud, you can see green inside. Is there still hope for my tree? Can I do…

From "How Do Trees Know When to Leaf Out in the Spring?" »

Martin Terry
Jun 18, 2015
My wife and I just acquired a farmhouse and 6 acres in Delaware county, just NE of Franklin county in Ohio. On this property is what I believe to be one of the oldest and largest butternut trees in the world.…

From "Their Goal: Saving the Butternut Tree" »

Patti Hindman
Jun 17, 2015
I found the first one this week. I have never seen this beetle before. I have a cherry orchard all around my house but also 60 year old fir trees. I am wondering what to do to kill the beetle but…

From "Whitespotted Sawyer" »

Lynda
Jun 16, 2015
This illustrator is just awesome!! Absolutely beautiful drawings, an amazing talent!! Look forward to more by this young artist!!

From "200 Million Years and Counting" »

Charlie Schwarz
Jun 15, 2015
I’ve been a woodworker for more than 40 years and have always worked with air-dried lumber (mine has been air-dried in an unheated garage for at least a year). My opinion is that it’s a waste to dry lumber…

From "On Sawmilling" »

Dave
Jun 15, 2015
Thanks, Ed!

From "On Sawmilling" »

Robert Ammicht
Jun 15, 2015
Hi Naomi, yes indeed, well written, very informative text on an eerie subject, natural resource extraction on behalf of a consumer addict western human society which will find reasons to justify just about anything. Although these needs to consume are…

From "The Cree and the Crown" »

Dave
Jun 15, 2015
Hi Melisa, Yes, and yes.

From "When Tapping, Don't Disregard Red Maple" »

Dave
Jun 15, 2015
Sorry to hear this, Don. Value will depend on a number of factors, including what species and how big they were. A forester could look at the stumps and give you an idea of what you lost.

From "Cutting Down on Crime: The Battle Against Timber Theft" »

Melisa Kennedy
Jun 14, 2015
I am scouting my trees now just moved on 30 wooded acres…city girl going country….I have so many different maples. Can I just tap random maples, mix all the sap together and boil down? Some maples are also in…

From "When Tapping, Don't Disregard Red Maple" »

Heather Candon
Jun 13, 2015
Great article, Ben! I stumbled upon this after an evening spent researching the stone chambers so prolific here in Putnam County, NY. I love what a small world it is that my curiosity led me to such a well-written post…

From "Lost Histories: The Story of New England's Stone Chambers" »

Donald J McWhirter
Jun 12, 2015
I gave my abbutter permission to cut 7 trees on my property. He instructed his logger to cut 43 trees. All of these trees are proximate to my wife’s garden driveway etc.What is the true market value of these trees?

From "Cutting Down on Crime: The Battle Against Timber Theft" »

Ed White
Jun 12, 2015
Do yourself a favor and pay the money to have the lumber kiln dried. If it is dried properly to approx. 6%, you shouldn’t have many problems with movement after you use it—for whatever. It is still wood, and…

From "On Sawmilling" »

Dick Pearson
Jun 12, 2015
Great article!  Lots of information I never knew.  Gives me a broader view of a critter I had seen as an unmitigated pest.  Hope I can see their nesting behavior next spring now that I know to…

From "Sea Lamprey: Scary Looking, but Good for the River" »