Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Collin Miller
May 30, 2015
Today I left a badly high-graded Woodlot feeling sick from what I’d seen, but on the way home I helped a spotted turtle across the road into a pond and I found some peace of mind…“Domineering” when it…

From "No Way to Say What’s in the Heart. Never." »

Peter McSweeney
May 30, 2015
Thanks for the informative article.  I’m surprised the writer didn’t mention ironwood or hop hornbeam, because it retains its leaves as well in the forest understory, much more so than oak, at least in Ontario. I tell…

From "Why Do Some Leaves Persist On Beech and Oak Trees Well Into Winter?" »

Marg Carruthers
May 29, 2015
What an excellent article!  I remember Euell Gibbins and some people joking about eating the weeds.  But the interest in wild foods, wild-crafting is definitely on the rise.  Just stay away from the poison ivy!

From "Eat Your Weedies" »

Dave Anderson
May 29, 2015
Right on, Dave Mance. The woodlot/farm philosopher within us. I don’t read a lot of blog musings, but I always make time for yours. Write on.

From "No Way to Say What’s in the Heart. Never." »

Julian Caviedes
May 28, 2015
Hey! Anyone could explain me if there is any difference between “structural diversity” and “structural complexity”? And if there are, what they are? Thanks!

From "What Is Forest Stand Structure and How Is It Measured?" »

Dave
May 27, 2015
My sense, Jason, is that a burn would provide some short term relief. Ticks thrive in deciduous leaf litter, so burning off the duff layer would probably help. The catch is, as soon as the next crop of leaves fell,…

From "Tick Talk" »

Jason Burt
May 26, 2015
I would like to know if controlled burns would aid in the reduction of the tick population.

From "Tick Talk" »

Jake Taylor
May 26, 2015
This article helped me sort out my problems. I was looking for tips on how to install a wood boiler into my existing oil boiler heating system with 4 heating zones and using the oil boiler as an back up which…

From "Installing a Wood Boiler" »

S. Burns
May 25, 2015
I was so happy to come across this article. I have so much respect for my Grandmother Helen L. Burns and miss her terribly. To see her in this article and be able to share a story about her past…

From "A Brief History of the Brown Paper Company" »

walter corbin
May 25, 2015
Please describe the easiest way to determine the volume of lumber in a given stand of either 5 or 10 acre increments.

From "What Is Forest Stand Structure and How Is It Measured?" »

Helen Downing
May 25, 2015
Michael Caduto was such an inspiration to me as a fourth grade teacher AND human being! I read his books to my students and we implemented as much of his philosophy as possible in a public school system which was…

From "Eat Your Weedies" »

Kevin T. Smith
May 18, 2015
Thanks Andy for the question.Yes, certain wasps (most or all in family family Cynipidae) can induce swellings or galls in plant tissues. The most commonly seen example is probably the so-called “oak apple”. Yes, the wasp locally stimulates tree…

From "Go Figure: How Tree Burls Grow" »

Andy Shultz
May 18, 2015
I have often heard that certain non-stinging wasps can induce burls when they lay their eggs in or under the bark. Is this true, and does it correlate with the viruses, fungi or bacteria mentioned in the article?

From "Go Figure: How Tree Burls Grow" »

Ed Sharron
May 15, 2015
There is also a fascinating link between deer ticks carrying lyme and invasive species. Good article here: http://nativeplantwildlifegarden.com/more-findings-on-the-link-between-japanese-barberry-and-lyme-disease/ Yet another reason to battle invasive species!

From "Tick Talk" »

Paul Gosselin
May 14, 2015
For me an obvious question would be if anything like this exists in Quebec. If Native Americans built these chambers in New England, they logically would have built them north of the present VT/NH border as well - as…

From "Lost Histories: The Story of New England's Stone Chambers" »

Ross Morgan
May 12, 2015
Hi everyone, This is Ross, I wrote the article, and found out there were responses, sorry to be so late.  Thank you for the comments, some answers follow: Ryan. I store many handles by suspending them from a rafter…

From "Make Your Own Axe Handle" »

Judith Angelo
May 12, 2015
Ma & Pa robin raised a huge changeling while the three blue eggs just lay there. The day after the cowbird fledged, the robins abandoned the nest. I have read that robins are one of the discerning breeds, but mine…

From "Birds in Focus: Pawning off Parenting" »

Summer Devlin
May 11, 2015
Did I miss something?  My Mom asked me why she heard a mourning dove crying at 2 am in the morning.  I had never heard one cooing at night. We both thought that maybe it was because it is…

From "The Secret Life of the Mourning Dove" »

Larry
May 06, 2015
Anyone know what bird uses cedar bark to build a nest other then the Golden-cheeked warbler?  I found an old bird nest in my yard made of cedar bark.

From "Which Bird Made That Nest?" »

Jerry Hoag
May 01, 2015
I absolutely agree with Mr. Mance. There are abundant wood resources in the Northeast to support any wood project and companies that would be thrilled to add to their advertising that they supplied the native wood for the Boardwalk. I…

From "On The Boardwalk" »