Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Dave
Oct 29, 2014
Sounds an awful lot like poison ivy to me, Dena. And just because you haven’t had a reaction to the plant in the past doesn’t mean it won’t happen in the future.

From "Avoiding Rash Decisions: A Guide to Plants You Shouldn't Touch" »

Rodger D Tucker
Oct 25, 2014
How about taking 8’ long logs,take the required measurements to determine how many cu.ft are in that log. Then do another & another until it comes as close to 128cu.ft as you can get it. Done right? Not…

From "How Solid is a Cord of Wood?" »

Dena
Oct 25, 2014
Please HELP! My husband and I were in New Hampshire last week- walked the entire Flume Gorge! That’s in Franconia Notch State Park- the next day or maybe it was 2 days- I had what looked like an inch long…

From "Avoiding Rash Decisions: A Guide to Plants You Shouldn't Touch" »

Lois Rae Mrozek
Oct 22, 2014
A few of my family members and myself have been followed around by a female grouse for most of this summer. Lately I cannot get much outside clipping done because it follows so closely behind me and pecks at the…

From "Why Ruffed Grouse Take Winter in Stride" »

Carolyn
Oct 19, 2014
Oh, this is lovely! Both the calendar and the essay.

From "Day by Day" »

Aaron
Oct 15, 2014
Hi guys, no recent posts here, but I’ll try anyway. Posted this on another site, about my dilemma. I’ll post it here as well: Hi. I’m in kind of a dilemma here. A family/pack(coven?) of…

From "Bats on the Brink: White-nose Syndrome Hits Home" »

John D Fox Jr
Oct 13, 2014
Brian, I enjoyed your article on “How solid is a cord of wood”.  Using the fencing was a clever way to sample the face of the cord.  I’ve always accepted the textbook claims that a cord is…

From "How Solid is a Cord of Wood?" »

Matt Fitch
Oct 12, 2014
Nice article and photos. I admire your determination in getting these shots.

From "The Life Cycle of a Brook Trout" »

Victoria
Oct 12, 2014
HELP!  We still have tadpoles in our TINY plastic ponds!  Unfortunately, our ponds become big blocks of solid ice, during the winter.  It’s not unusual for us to have temps of 50 degrees BELOW zero…or even…

From "The Tadpoles of Winter" »

Jeicyn Heierbuernathee
Oct 10, 2014
Wonderful! Amazing and very educational. It is a brilliant piece.

From "Night Vision: How Animals See in the Dark" »

Mable
Oct 10, 2014
I have been trying to get help for over four years.I have had my home ruined with smoke from outdoor wood-boiler and cant sell it. I have had breast cancer and asthma, spot on my lungs, pneumonia and problems…

From "Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation" »

Emily
Oct 09, 2014
What a beautiful writer you are. Such an interesting article! I’ve learned so much. Thanks for sharing!

From "Velvet "Rub Out"" »

Jared
Oct 09, 2014
Just happened upon this old wood splitters discussion. Im the novice of all of you woodsmen, Young and old spent the last 4 days at a friends families cabin just outside of West Yellowstone on Hegen Lake in Montana. Its an…

From "Maul vs. Axe" »

Emily Rowe
Oct 08, 2014
L. obscurum is commonly called “princess pine,” but this is one of those plants that has a dizzying number of informal names, depending on where you are and whom you’re talking with. While I haven’t heard it called “…

From "Ancient Forests, Chipmunk Height" »

Marc
Oct 07, 2014
I agree with the CU in principle but I’m pretty sure it’s the forest getting screwed. Our neighbor just had her regularly scheduled “logging” done, which I was assured by the logger would be a “selective cut”. If…

From "Debunking Misinformation About Vermont's Current Use Program" »

Bill Risso
Oct 07, 2014
Dave - Thanks for the enjoyable reading! I’m a woodworker, and wood movement in these remarkable temp/humidity swings in the NE is definitely important. For furniture, there is a whole bag of tools. For a camp door, I’…

From "On Writing and Woodworking" »

Alan Smith
Oct 06, 2014
The saw tooth graph seems to prove that wood burning is not carbon neutral. As soon as the trees reach as size where they are absorbing a reasonable amount of CO2 they are felled and it is back to virtually…

From "How Manomet Got it Backwards" »

michael baram
Oct 04, 2014
Son and I hand built small cabin & made the door with tongue in groove boards. Perfect fit. But then rain, winter drafts, etc., so we had to do lots of incremental retrofitting over the next two years and then…

From "On Writing and Woodworking" »

Marcia Kilpatrick
Oct 03, 2014
What is correct “Prince’s Pine” or “Princess Pine”? Field guides have Prince’s Pine and you used Princess.

From "Ancient Forests, Chipmunk Height" »

Lu Landis
Oct 03, 2014
Very informative article, Susan. Thanks. My husband and I are canoeists, and it was super to see an otter swim in front of us one time. They’re my totem animals!

From "The Odor Side of Otters" »