Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Theresa Wellman
Sep 11, 2014
Enjoyed the article. When I was a broke college student, wild-asters were the flower I used for my transcendental meditation initiation. I was surprised to notice Massachusetts and southern Vermont being designated as other than New England until I saw…

From "Late Bloomers – Asters Arrive at Summer’s End" »

Cornelis
Sep 07, 2014
What about if the leaning tree is likely hollow? We want to drop it against the lean. The tree is a 20 meter tall lombardia poplar, the amount of cutting front and back is obviously more critical. We do have a …

From "Felling Trees Against the Lean" »

Charlie Schwarz
Sep 06, 2014
As a forester who’s been managing woodland for well over 40 years I’ve read the discussion and have heard it before—many times. There are at several consultants operating in my area that I would not consider allowing in…

From "Should Vermont Require Licenses For Foresters?" »

Richard G Carbonetti
Sep 05, 2014
Dave, I will first divulge I am a supporter of licensing, a practicing consultant and that I am licensed in Maine and New Hampshire. Further I have seen “foresters” or those purporting to be foresters take serious advantage of landowners. …

From "Should Vermont Require Licenses For Foresters?" »

Bobo
Sep 03, 2014
Susan, I have a darling (yes, he is a darling) porcupine that was orphaned, and we intended to release him, then got very attached to him.  Yes, porcupines will snip off branches that are in their way, and during…

From "The Porcupine: Nature’s Pincushion" »

Carol Denardo
Sep 02, 2014
Our dairy farm has been run by my family for nearly 100 years. Most of that time, the land was open to hunters. However, some hunters have no respect for our property. They cut fences, shot at electric fence boxes, drove…

From "Debunking Misinformation About Vermont's Current Use Program" »

Scott
Sep 01, 2014
I have a pond down the street that is clean and deep, it also is loaded with crayfish.  If I were to havrest some would they be safe to boil up and eat?

From "Mud Bug Trouble" »

Dale Arenz
Sep 01, 2014
I am in the process of creating woodcock habitat on our farm in the Town of East Troy, Walworth County, Wisconsin.

From "Woods for the Woodcock" »

Carolyn
Aug 31, 2014
Perhaps it’s because I’m a writer and editor, as well as a transplanted flatlander who has never hunted and never will, but it seems to me the issue revolves around the word “hunting.” That means going after something.…

From "Editor's Note" »

Stu
Aug 26, 2014
Always have let nature do its thing (usually involved putting them up high away from critters) and then used bleach. But I like the have-a-heart idea followed by H2 Peroxide. I am a major skull collector, along with many other…

From "Cleaning Skulls" »

Bill Titterington
Aug 24, 2014
I didn’t invent this idea, but it makes sense to me when creating the proper angle on the bit.  Clamp the axe with the pole on the bench and the edge on top of a piece of wood.…

From "Tricks of the Trade" »

Andy Crosier
Aug 22, 2014
My nephew has come upon 3 bear in the last few years of woods biking. Not something the bears always appreciate!

From "Nature By Bike" »

Robert
Aug 22, 2014
Does anyone know what type of weed or grass irritates the eyes, knows, and throat when mowed? My eyes keep earing, my nose runs, and I keep coughing when I mow the lawn.

From "Avoiding Rash Decisions: A Guide to Plants You Shouldn't Touch" »

Frank Krueger
Aug 22, 2014
Your story reminds me of the time my son and I were backpacking in the Pemigewasset Wilderness and we’re kind of lost. We were at a fork in the trail in dense forest. My son went up one fork…

From "Nature By Bike" »

Dan O'Hara
Aug 22, 2014
What a great post - you should submit it to a bicycling magazine.

From "Nature By Bike" »

Sam Freedom
Aug 21, 2014
Anyone who has an issue with ordinary citizens hunting deer is insane.  Just like with “free markets”, let hunters naturally hunt and stop trying to impede them with these crazy pseudo-scientific models.  As the article says, cars kill 18,000…

From "Too Many Whitetails?" »

Mary Saucier Choate
Aug 20, 2014
On this site and elsewhere I read: According to some plate-tectonics geologists, New Hampshire is “exotic terrain”—a former slice of the continental crust that once belonged to what is now Africa. It became stuck to the edge of the…

From "Vermont & New Hampshire: There’s Something in the Soil" »

Judith Harding
Aug 18, 2014
A nest the size of a regular orange with the hole the size of nickel in the side. There is a bird flying in and out but too small to see.  The pictures here are too big . This nest…

From "Which Bird Made That Nest?" »

Amy
Aug 17, 2014
Thank you for helping solve this mystery for me.  I found this plant just yesterday growing near a log in upstate NY in a semi mature forest.  I had no idea what it was but am thrilled to…

From "Indian Pipe" »

Michael Baram
Aug 14, 2014
Love your story. Wild blackberry patches surround our cabin and each August I enjoy the bloody sport of picking as many as possible for my wife’s jam making… wading thru the bramble, finding the hidden ones, I emerge with…

From "Blackberry Season" »