Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Leighton Wass
Sep 06, 2015
I find myself in a very similar leaden boat as young Mr. Mance.  At 73, I have had an opportunity to absorb a bit more lead from the years and years of biting lead split shot and the eating of…

From "Making the Switch to Lead-Free Bullets" »

Charles Gresham
Sep 02, 2015
Ran across this article and enjoyed your perspective.  Was delighted to see a comment by Andy Crosier - who was in one of my all-time favorite Field & Stream articles you penned about Ed’s hunting cap in Vermont…

From "A Good Winter" »

Shawn
Sep 01, 2015
Hi Brett, I am very happy to come across your post (no pun intended). Down one side of our property we have hedges that have gotten out of control. They are about 20 feet high and at least 12 feet wide. This…

From "Tricks of the Trade: Living Fenceposts" »

Mary
Sep 01, 2015
A Giant Swallow Tail butterfly hatched this morning. My puppy saw it and barked and growled his head off. It was fanning it’s beautiful wings, and then left. But I have a full nursery of them in the Basil…

From "Transformations: Which Caterpillar Becomes Which Butterfly?" »

Maria Ong
Aug 29, 2015
I live in Dutchess County, NY. Last night at 2:46 am (I looked at the clock because I heard the ping of a text coming in ), I heard 2 doves calling and answering each other. One was a softer coo, answered by…

From "The Secret Life of the Mourning Dove" »

Trish
Aug 28, 2015
This July we had the pleasure of watching a happy couple of mourning doves raise their family. My son & I thought that the doves were fighting at first but they were just building their nest. They took turns sitting…

Larry Moses
Aug 26, 2015
An old timer told me a similar way only he would capture several bees in a jar, by baiting it with a little honey.  Then close it up and put flour in it, then roll it around to cover…

From "Bee Lining: The Oldtimers' Way to Find Wild Beehives" »

Tiffany
Aug 25, 2015
Thanks Jim. The whole process of making absolutely sure I was harvesting the right plant gave way to so many lessons. In the end, I got a really delicious meal and learned a lot of different ways one can use…

From "Cattails: Nature’s Supermarket" »

Jim
Aug 24, 2015
A very nice and informative article! The not eating anything poisonous is always a good reason for doing proper research. Thank you for Outside Story ‘Nature’s Supermarket.’

From "Cattails: Nature’s Supermarket" »

Steven
Aug 24, 2015
Hi Mark, great article! I am really set on starting my own black walnut plantation and your article was one of the few that provided some valuable insight! I have a five acre property and if it’s not too…

From "Revisiting a Black Walnut Plantation" »

Lynn
Aug 23, 2015
I just photographed a Snowberry Clearwing at my front porch.

Wayne Hall
Aug 23, 2015
I was picking green beans in my garden a couple days before this article appeared in the Burlington Free Press on August 17, 2015 when I heard the buzz of a bee.  I watched the bee move from flower to flower …

From "Bees Feel Flower Buzz" »

Kate
Aug 22, 2015
My friend saw one recently while mowing a field abutting a large wooded area.  It stopped, stared at her, then disappeared swiftly into the woods.  Appeared to have a limp and hurt back foot or leg. She was…

From "Some Suspects in On-Going Catamount Investigation" »

Peter
Aug 22, 2015
I also have frogs and tadpoles in a small shallow pond. Did Victoria in Northern MN ever get a solution? Would a deicer help? I read sweeping snow off and letting sun reach the plants and algae helps. I will…

From "The Tadpoles of Winter" »

John Snell
Aug 21, 2015
Many thanks, Mike, for yet another thoughtful and well written piece. I always enjoy them and appreciate the knowledge I gain that helps me see this remarkable world of ours more clearly—even if we don’t necessarily have “the…

From "Woods Whys: Acorns and Weather" »

Kathleen Kolb
Aug 21, 2015
Elise, I appreciate reading about this and having your perspective. Thanks!

From "Breaking Down Technological Barriers in Maine" »

GWIZCO
Aug 21, 2015
Great piece! Helped me identify the White-Marked Tussock. The caterpillar is crawling by us at our campsite right now…awesome! Thank you!!

Parris
Aug 19, 2015
I have found that if I tightly wrap a good Ponderosa block with seven or eight wraps of heavy wire, soon the working top of the block is weathered and pounded and expands into a rather tight mass that no…

From "Tricks of the Trade: The Perfect Splitting Block" »

Rev. Jackie Goodrich
Aug 17, 2015
Why not charge every person in America one dollar per year for our woodlands and animals? Even urban areas should pay, the homes they live in destroyed woodlands. Plus we all add to pollution. Lets keep our woodlands and animals…

From "Paying for State Wildlife Conservation" »

Renee
Aug 15, 2015
Michele Patenaude:  Have watched mourning doves for awhile, and noticed they build very small nests, where their tail feathers and heads extend beyond the nest, though their bodies fit perfectly.  Why do they build such small nests?