Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Michael Gow
May 23, 2014
You are so right.  As a teacher myself, I want the kids to feel the things they learn about.  It is the natural way to learn.

From "Touch" »

Penelope Harris
May 21, 2014
I suppose growing up on a farm, like I did, everything was tactile. I wasn’t just reading about cows, chickens, cow manure, new born calves and chicks, woods, frogs, mud, horse back riding, prickly hay bales and I could…

From "Touch" »

Jim Shaber
May 21, 2014
At our recycling center there are hundreds of bees feeding in the aluminum can and glass dumpsters.  It would seem possible to track some of these to their home hive.  I’ve wondered if the honey derived from…

From "Bee Lining: The Oldtimers' Way to Find Wild Beehives" »

Jeanie SImon
May 11, 2014
My birdhouse is filled with small dead twigs about 4” to 6” long.  Does anyone know who would have put them in?  We see swallows around the area,  these birdhouses are specific for blue birds.

From "Which Bird Made That Nest?" »

Janis Gillespie
May 10, 2014
Hale makes the finest wood bookcases in the country.  They are beautiful and timeless.

From "Bookcase Manufacturer Writes a New Chapter" »

Peter
May 10, 2014
Can venison be infected with Lyme Disease and then be transmitted to humans who ingest it? Can this occur with any ground-grazing species such as grouse, rabbit, turkey, that are also eaten by people? And if not, why not?

From "Tale of the Tick: How Lyme Disease is Expanding Northward" »

Deborah Turgeon
May 09, 2014
I found an opossum in my Have-A-Hart trap this morning in which I usually catch squirrels. I never expected to see an opossum in it!  Looks like there might have been some frostbite damage to the tail. I let…

From "Opossums Find Cold Comfort in New England’s Winters" »

Stephen Verchinski
May 04, 2014
Dean Thompson, I would strongly disagree with the view that the herbicide is not hitting groundwater supplies.  A study recently in Catalonia, Spain put that to rest.  An important study published in 2011 found that of 140 groundwater samples taken…

From "The Great Glyphosate Debate" »

Jake Rodrigue
May 03, 2014
I’m an avid hunter and have lived in New England for all of my 34 years. With that being said, I would love the opportunity to bow hunt one of these invasive animals. Any info on who I can contact…

From "North Country Pig Out" »

George Hollister
Apr 30, 2014
How does fire history, and fire environment fit with ideal stand structure?  Between 200 and 500 years ago, and prior, forests across the Americas were exposed to fire annually.  Forests that survived had limited understories.  Fire compatible forests today,…

From "What Is Forest Stand Structure and How Is It Measured?" »

Kent McFarland
Apr 27, 2014
I am afraid that is a nice old tale, but skunks can spray whether their feet are on or off the ground. The musk glands of the striped skunk, about the size of a grape, are surrounded by powerful sphincter…

From "Season’s Greeting From Your Neighborhood Skunk" »

Alex Belote
Apr 25, 2014
Just helped lead a prescribed Burn in Minnewaska State Park today!  Looking foward to doing more burning in the gunks.

From "Huckleberry Picking" »

Jason Berard
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks so much for this article on the Harvard Forest. My great-grandfather, forester Paul M Reed worked there in the mid-20’s and assisted with a few publications, I think.

From "The Pisgah Forest: Harvard's Living Laboratory" »

Larry Weese
Apr 25, 2014
I have had a wood boiler, outside for 5 years now. I only burn wood in my stove. Untreated wood only. My neighbor has a inside wood burner. My burner only puts out smoke when my thermostst turns on. His chimney…

From "Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation" »

Eric Johnson
Apr 20, 2014
Dave - glad you were able to rally and make a full crop. Our own trees took the year off it seems. Our per-tap production was around 1/2 of average, but we were able to salvage the season by purchasing sap…

From "Dispatch from the Sugarwoods 2014 - Part 4" »

Susan McKenney
Apr 20, 2014
Thank you for this article!  I have seen these little clams in vernal pools, but knew nothing about them.

From "Clams in the Woods" »

David Wing
Apr 17, 2014
Beech leaves are a very potent hazard to waxed XC skis; they lurk in groomed tracks and fasten themselves to grip wax, often resulting in falls or at least bad language…

From "Why Do Some Leaves Persist On Beech and Oak Trees Well Into Winter?" »

Mathew Nunley
Apr 14, 2014
Hi I’m Mat, I am extremely interested in finding something else to do with my time, other than playing video games. I found inspiration through your article. I have also been trying to follow my father’s footsteps after…

From "Rake and Splay: How I Learned to Make a Windsor Chair" »

Carolyn
Apr 13, 2014
One factor of rural life and low income is a lack of cop cars available to respond to requests for help, or investigations into suspicious characters.

From "Dispatch from the Sugarwoods 2014 - Part 3" »

Michael Franks
Apr 12, 2014
Thank you for this great posting. I have always admired the Beech trees and how they hold their dried leaves all winter. To me it represents a natural symbol of warmer days to come. Now I know some the science…

From "Why Do Some Leaves Persist On Beech and Oak Trees Well Into Winter?" »