Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Michael Gow
Jun 28, 2014
Baiting of any type is always controversial.  Bear baiting has always been the most controversial that I’ve run across.  I think Dave makes a bigger point in this argument; outside influence by big names and big money…

From "Maine's Great Bear Debate" »

Carolyn
Jun 27, 2014
What’s the difference between baiting bears and jacklighting deer? Both seem to me to like shooting fish in a barrel.

Sydney Lea
Jun 27, 2014
Good essay, Dave. I don’t live in Maine, but have a lifelong association with a part of the state where bear hunting is not only common but also a source of revenue for guides in a part of the…

Keith
Jun 27, 2014
Excellent piece.  While social media has many benefits, it is also where young people (and old) like to “show off”.  Even though their lives might not be great, they want everyone to think they are living the dream.…

From "The Hiker" »

Anne Mommers
Jun 27, 2014
Interesting article in business week about other states that have passed a ban…

Lori Jones
Jun 25, 2014
I’m looking for information and pictures, on the little creatures in our local puddles. Can you recommend a book or video?

From "Puddles Ooze With Mud and Life" »

Mark
Jun 24, 2014
Your instructions suggest a Spud with approximately the same curve as the diameter as the tree. From that, I pictured using the Spud, curve down, following the tree curve. But the illustration looks like the Spud is being used curve…

From "Peeling Logs" »

Lisa Salts-Martin
Jun 22, 2014
We have 2 mature butternut trees in our backyard. Love the shade.

From "Butternut, Juglans cinerea" »

Ray
Jun 21, 2014
Thank you for the information on the balsam for resin blisters. I wish I had known the resin and twig motorboat when I was a little guy. We had similar trees in northern Manitoba but I remember them as darker,…

From "What are those Blisters on the Bark of Balsam Firs?" »

Dan O'Sullivan
Jun 21, 2014
Dave Sawyer has been to the Windsor chair what Wallace Gusler (Colonial Williamsburg) has been for the Kentucky longrifle revival. Without Dave we probably would not have Curtis Buchanan, Elia Bizarria and hundreds of others dedicated to preserving this art…

From "Rake and Splay: How I Learned to Make a Windsor Chair" »

Doug
Jun 20, 2014
This is a really, really, good piece. I think it deserves a wider audience in one of the the general media outlets, and would encourage you to pursue that.

From "The Hiker" »

Carolyn
Jun 19, 2014
In response to Stuart’s remarks about Facebook: Keep in mind that there’s an upside to Facebook, too, just as there is in television and computers and phones and all the technological marvels of our time. In FB’s…

From "The Hiker" »

Mike
Jun 18, 2014
I sell various wood products, wild mushrooms and edible wild plant items through my site. This really is for the above Robert Seidel. If you contact me I can get you some inner bark. Mike

From "Black Birch: Betula lenta" »

Cari Robaldo
Jun 18, 2014
Thanks so much for this article! I have a whole group of cellar spiders in my shower too, and I love to watch them do their thing. I was curious to see what kind they were, and your article helped…

From "Make Room for Daddy, Who Will Cause No Harm" »

Dave
Jun 17, 2014
I think the concerns are valid and a good general rule to keep in mind with everything. Don’t eat any plant if you think it’s growing in bad dirt. Consume everything in moderation.

From "Wild Superfood: Lamb's-quarters" »

Nick B
Jun 16, 2014
We tried Lambsquarters this spring for the first time—excellent!  But I’ve read some warnings that are not sited in your article… are the following concerns unfounded? “... Do not collect Lamb’s-quarters growing in artificially fertilized or treated…

From "Wild Superfood: Lamb's-quarters" »

John
Jun 15, 2014
Stephen - great job on this article.

From "Three Logging Systems: Matching Equipment to the Job" »

Stuart
Jun 15, 2014
A good place to start for anyone of any age who is wanting to find a purpose larger than themselves is to first “unfriend” Facebook. Removing oneself from such shallow distractions does wonders for figuring out a path to follow. …

From "The Hiker" »

Michael Gow
Jun 13, 2014
I am 40 years old with a family and career but still long for the days I spent hiking the Long Trail 7 years ago.  It comforts me knowing that places like Vermont and organizations such as the Long Trail provide…

From "The Hiker" »

Peter Szymkowicz
Jun 13, 2014
Dave, If Current Use is so good for Vermont, then all Vermonters should pay from the general fund, not just the residents of each town who are forced to pay a tax surcharge because Property Valuation and Review uses a…

From "Debunking Misinformation About Vermont's Current Use Program" »