Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Thomas Fitzgerald
Apr 12, 2014
I suspect that it has something to do with the niche opportunity. If you compare successions of energy transfer between different species of birds and they’re prey, you can possibly find that the number of Goshawks is only as…

From "Accipiters: The Motorcycle Hawks" »

Amy Carrier O'Brien
Apr 11, 2014
Well done Ross! Very enjoyable. I see RLP is also a kindred spirit for you. I have quite the collection of his “stuff.” I actually prefer the raw journals. Good to see you still enjoying what the north country has…

From "A Cabin in the Woods" »

Kit Pfeiffer
Apr 08, 2014
The krummholz is such a visually fascinating part of the alpine landscape. Magical for children; interesting scientifically for adults. Thanks for the tidbit about horizontal growth due to killing of the apical buds.

From "Krummholz: The High Life of Crooked Wood" »

Leo
Apr 07, 2014
Let’s not start throwing negatives at folks whose experience with the land is plenty sufficient for them to judge the actions of would-be troublemakers.  Forget this thoroughly false stuff about quotas for policemen, prosecutors & judges - the…

From "Dispatch from the Sugarwoods 2014 - Part 3" »

Richard Carbonetti
Apr 07, 2014
David, You hit very closely to an issue that Vermont does not like to talk about, the poverty that is more common then we care to admit or address. I have always said you’ll never see a rusty trailer…

Kerry Hegarty
Apr 07, 2014
This is by far the best article that I have ever read about the maple syrup industry.

From "A Maple Bubble? How the Syrup Market Works, and What It All Might Mean" »

Karen Emery Dean
Apr 05, 2014
Love your blog, but disappointed that it included the heroin issue. I understand mentioning the rolling stone posting. We can open the morning paper or turn on the tv to read about the disturbing news. I read Northern Woodlands for…

J Washington
Apr 05, 2014
We had morning doves,  two, that use one of our hanging planter for there nest. In short they had a baby dove which died two days later, should I remove the dead baby? And will the doves try again?…

From "The Secret Life of the Mourning Dove" »

Michael Gow
Apr 05, 2014
Your analogy is brilliant. Heroin is an invasive species along with the dealers who spread it. The drug patrons are the birds that feed upon the availability of the food more readily available. How do you solve it? Do you…

Doug Stowe
Apr 04, 2014
I am fascinated by hands, my own and others. Anaxagoras had said that Man is the wisest of all animals because he has hands. An animal that has hands much more human-like than the raccoon’s is the possum. It…

From "Raccoons: It's All In The Hands" »

Bud Haas
Apr 04, 2014
And how did he know they were “up to no good”? Gotta be careful that FEAR doesn’t take over rationality. Lotta fear mongers out there. And remember these cops got to have numbers to support their jobs. Along with…

Mike
Apr 04, 2014
I’m a sugarmaker and I have to say that this is probably one of the best articles I’ve ever read on the span of a season relative to syrup color and taste.  It also helps explain a…

From "The Science of Syrup" »

Marv Elliott
Apr 01, 2014
I wonder why a bird like the Goshawk that is such a powerful predator, is so low in population? Why don’t they out compete the sharpies and Coops and increase in numbers?

From "Accipiters: The Motorcycle Hawks" »

Dick Brubaker
Mar 27, 2014
You forgot to mention that Black Bears love skunk cabbage. I once saw five big blacks all together in a skunk cabbage patch around the end of April.

From "Skunk Cabbage: Blooming Heat" »

Geoffrey Peck
Mar 27, 2014
My family operated at least one tannery during the mid - 1800’s on property that is now known as Peck’s Lake, near Gloversville. The remains of a fairly large tannery remain along the bank of the stream exiting the…

From "Hemlock and Hide: The Tanbark Industry in Old New York" »

Dave
Mar 27, 2014
Not true. When syrup is boiling in the evaporator, sugarmakers use a defoaming agent to keep the bubbles from getting too high. Organic producers use a certified organic canola oil. Conventional producers use regular canola oil, or a dairy-based product.…

Robert Eldredge
Mar 26, 2014
Need help on a question. My son in law believes that maple syrup that is not labeled organic comes from trees that have been fertilized and sprayed. True or not?

Bobby
Mar 25, 2014
Yeah me too, I never really thought about it until I saw a moth in my home when it was snowing. Great, interesting info.

From "How Insects Survive the Cold of Winter" »