Recent Discussions

• The Burning Question: Is Biomass Right for the Northeast?

September 1st 2010
    Hi Sandy— Your points are well taken and get right to the heart of the biomass debate. My goal in writing the article was to try to demonstrate a sense of what was possible and… Read More »

August 31st 2010
    I found it a little disturbing that nowhere in the article on biomass as fuel was the value of the standing forest as O2 producer and carbon sink mentioned. It was my understanding of the… Read More »

August 31st 2010
    Being an observer of the biomass discussion in Massachusetts, it is nice, and rare, to read a relatively unbiased article about biomass utilization in Massachusetts. The Manomet Study is a remarkable document for something done… Read More »

• Wood Worse than Coal?

August 29th 2010
    We have put together a presentation that rebukes these headlines and makes better sense of issue. You can see it at: http://biomassfuelssummit.com/epa-biomass-ruling/ Read More »

• Plant Relics are Humble but Handy

August 24th 2010
    While I loved the piece, I was struck by the comment that clubmosses are mostly found “in the cool, shaded environment of the boreal forest.” This is factually incorrect. I have hiked the White, Green,… Read More »

• Giant Ichneumon Wasp

August 23rd 2010
    Just shot some great photos of a female Giant Ichneumon Wasp laying her eggs in a dead Ponderosa Pine tree. Read More »

• Deer Love Ginseng to Death

August 22nd 2010
    Deer have a tndency to browse.  But I do not think they can bring ginseng to extinction.  If this were the case, they would have done so over the ages which they have been present… Read More »

• The Swifts of Summer

August 18th 2010
    Responding to Patricia Jaquith’s concerns about chimney swifts and pesticide spraying for West Nile virus: There are some serious concerns that the decline of chimney swifts is not due just to the loss of suitable… Read More »

• It's Time to Reconsider Spring and Summer Bird Feeding

August 17th 2010
    Probably not the adelgid, Chip, if you saw white worms. The adelgids are so tiny they’re practically impossible to see with the naked eye, and they’re not worms, really, they’re closer to aphids. Yes, there… Read More »

• Tale of the Tick: How Lyme Disease is Expanding Northward

August 17th 2010
    Sure, Paul. Happy to have you share the article. Read More »

• Bees in Summer

August 14th 2010
    Thank you for this informative post. I’ve always wondered about the logistics of honeybees and hives. I put extra effort in keeping nectar sources available in our yard and fields, so it’s good to know… Read More »

• The Swifts of Summer

August 14th 2010
    Does anyone know about the health of swift (and other mosquito-devouring bird) populations in areas where spraying is used as a control for west nile virus and eastern equine encephalitis?  Perhaps investing in nesting sites… Read More »

• The Swifts of Summer

August 13th 2010
    Swifts were the theme this summer for our vacation: We spend every summer up in Vermont and was so sad to hear about the bats in your recent article, but happy to know the swifts… Read More »

• It's Time to Reconsider Spring and Summer Bird Feeding

August 13th 2010
    I remember walking through a state park about 10 years ago, and coming across this writhing, white mass of tiny worms on a tree - Not a hemlock, more like a maple or something.  This… Read More »

• Tale of the Tick: How Lyme Disease is Expanding Northward

August 13th 2010
    Great Article. Request permission to reprint and post to my Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) Surveyors. The EAB is the little green bug that is killing the ash trees across the United States. The best way… Read More »

• Mill Prices: Winter 2009

August 13th 2010
    Does anyone know of a buyer for maple logs located in Western Washington (Olympic Peninsula)? Read More »

• Wood Worse than Coal?

August 13th 2010
    There are many issues to the biomass debate but some can never grasp the complete picture, which is very large. The demand for biomass allows good forestry to continue to be implemented by foresters.  Having… Read More »

• Biting the Apple

August 4th 2010
    In response to CJ’s note, this borer is specific to apple trees, so your other fruit trees should be safe. In my reading on it, I saw that it ate crabapples, too, and you would… Read More »

• Bee Lining: The Oldtimers' Way to Find Wild Beehives

August 4th 2010
    Bee-line is not always straight from food source to hive. I lined a swarm in Central Maine in the 50’s. My set-up was near a patch of goldenrod in the middle of a 40 acre… Read More »

• Biting the Apple

August 4th 2010
    After 6 years of losing newly planted apple trees, now I know the reason!!  And more importantly, there is a method of killing the borer and saving the tree.  Does this borer only bother apple… Read More »