Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

John Santi Sr.
Mar 10, 2015
I made a hammer handle from an oak limb I cut down from my tree that same day. It was beautiful. because it was green it shaped up so easily. Not bad for my first try. Was difficult to sand…

From "Make Your Own Axe Handle" »

Dave Coulter
Mar 10, 2015
This is a fun article to read. We have a “neighbor” porcupine that has been in the same den for a number of years in the woods in back of our house.  While backcountry skiing around Belknap Mountain (NH)…

From "Porcupines: Waddling Through Winter" »

John Snell
Mar 09, 2015
I spend a great deal of time working with urban trees where leaving CWD is often not an option given safety concerns. But when I’m out in the woods or walking back country roads, I love to study old…

From "Nothing Rotten About Deadwood" »

Richard Marble
Mar 09, 2015
Worked for the Maine Forest Service in the 70’s and was on Bigalow in 73.(the highest mountain in Maine with a fire tower)  Spotted the last forest fire from that tower before it closed and trained last three watchmen…

From "On the Lookout: A History of Fire Towers in the Northeast" »

kirk phillips
Mar 08, 2015
My son in law and I watched a small swarm of bees in our front yard as they collected the sweet water from some soft drink cans that were lying in the yard. It’s the 8th of March 2015 and…

From "Bee Lining: The Oldtimers' Way to Find Wild Beehives" »

Deanna
Mar 08, 2015
This one early morning I awoke to the cooing of a single Morning Dove. It’s rather a sad sound. I got up and he was sitting on my balcony rail all alone. Hence, the sad song. But….it was…

From "The Secret Life of the Mourning Dove" »

Peter Guest
Mar 07, 2015
Recent papers suggest Vermont is largely composed of the Dashwoods terrane (small land mass) which separated from the Laurentia (proto N America) and then was pushed back during the Taconic orogeny (mountain buliding episode). Next terrane to smash into the…

From "Vermont & New Hampshire: There’s Something in the Soil" »

Bob Wood
Mar 07, 2015
Really enjoyed your article. I have five game cams in our woodlot of about 100 acres. Usually keep them on the ATV trails for easy access and not surprising, much of the wildlife use the trails in deference to having to…

From "Tips for Game Camera Success" »

Lynne Mihaud
Mar 06, 2015
I have a large possum living in my shed overhang who seems to have frostbite on tail -  lacking some fur on his back . He is also eating my bird seed; I see his tracks each day. I have…

From "Opossums Find Cold Comfort in New England’s Winters" »

David Dargie
Mar 06, 2015
I would suggest a wildlife camera to anyone that enjoys learning about their environment. The wildlife camera takes color during the daytime and with infrared, black and white in the dark, and most of the shots are in the dark. …

Sophie Zyla
Mar 06, 2015
I’m really looking for evidence of that rumored Fisher. But a Mountain Lion would do! :)

Janet Pesaturo
Mar 06, 2015
Sophie, getting a bobcat on random placement is pretty darn lucky! Yes, I too have found that deer and raccoon, as well as coyotes and blue jays, are quite curious about the camera. I have many out of focus closeups…

Sophie Zyla
Mar 05, 2015
I did a series of species inventories at my local park and having a trail camera gave me proof of what I knew was around the wooded parcel. Some of the deer and raccoons seemed curious about the night flash…

Dave
Mar 02, 2015
It’s impossible to give good advice, Diane, without seeing the trees in person. They’re going to have all kinds of funky tension on them, and what you’re describing is a dangerous situation for a tree feller.

From "Felling Trees Against the Lean" »

Diane Spence
Mar 02, 2015
We have a tree that the wind storm brought half way down. It has fallen onto another tree and both trees are bent over badly from heavy snow. We have cut down trees our whole life but not sure about…

From "Felling Trees Against the Lean" »

Caryl Beth
Feb 28, 2015
We just bought an 1866 farm house in western Maine and seem to have something living beneath the floor or the ell/summer kitchen. We are only there on weekends, but consistently It stirs every night just after the sun goes…

From "When Nature Comes Knocking" »

Gary Lovett
Feb 25, 2015
Let’s not forget that higher albedo may slow warming but it does not remove CO2 from the atmosphere. High atmospheric CO2 has its own negative effects such as ocean acidification.

From "The Case for Snow" »

JC W.
Feb 20, 2015
Here, here. Thank you! Things are seldom clearly black and white, and unbiased coverege of emotional issues separates true journalists from propagandists. 

From "Objectivity" »

Barbara McKay
Feb 20, 2015
We have the same name, and I’m also a teacher. So I get LOTS of undeserved compliments about your essays! Just thought you’d like to know that many people like your work…..

From "Catch a Falling Snowflake" »

Daryle Thomas
Feb 20, 2015
When I was studying to become a UVM Extension Master Gardener, I’m almost certain that I read something about plants thriving on CO2. I may have even recently read on line something about plants now thriving where they hadn’…

From "Objectivity" »