Recent Discussions

• Busy Airport for Hard-Working Yellow Jackets

November 8th 2009
    Recently I read your column on the yellow jackets. A few months ago, I had an interesting event with them. On my porch, there was an old rug on a bench, too heavy for me… Read More »

• Wood Pellets

November 7th 2009
    I’ve a few comments on the article. “A premium pellet should produce 20 pounds or less of ash per ton.” Not bad! As an old railroader I used to burn coal. (Not that I would… Read More »

• Wood Pellets

November 6th 2009
    Does anyone have info on the Vermont Wood Pellet Plant? Are they making a premium pellet? Thanks for starting a dialog on wood pellets. Read More »

• Moose Part 2

November 6th 2009
    Great article!! Read More »

• Rust in Peace

November 5th 2009
    As a High School history teacher and amateur weekend archeologist I compliment you on your fine website. One Captain John Rollins from New Sharon Maine built a sawmill (with a granite stone boiler house) on… Read More »

• Lumber, Chips, and Sawdust: For Sawmills, There's No Such Thing as Waste

November 4th 2009
    I don’t know of a site off hand, Rachel. Maybe a reader can help? Otherwise, be in touch with me if you’d like to learn more about our Northern Woodlands Goes to School program. In… Read More »

• Lumber, Chips, and Sawdust: For Sawmills, There's No Such Thing as Waste

November 2nd 2009
    My students are studying the regions of the U.S.A.  They need to create “flowcharts” that show a resource going from its natural state to a finished state.  Any suggestions for a site that can visually… Read More »

• Moose Part 2

October 30th 2009
    Nice. Read More »

• Mill Prices: Autumn 2009

October 30th 2009
    Over in Southwestern Vermont one logger friend of mine is getting $700 a load. This works out to about 7 cords, or $100 a cord. Word on the street has it that wood is a… Read More »

• What Do Deer Want?

October 29th 2009
    I first heard of Ms. Thomas and her book when she was a guest on a local radio, call-in program. She continually voiced the fact that she gained her vast knowledge about deer by looking… Read More »

• New Feathers, New Look

October 28th 2009
    Wow. The things you can learn from reading this magazine. It’s only my first issue and already I’m amazed. I had no idea that our birds molted and changed their plumage to suit various purposes.… Read More »

• Logging at the Fair

October 28th 2009
    Hi Lora, I was there Friday with with a chainsaw filing, safety,and felling demonstration. I hope you can make it November 19-21 for the Low Impact Forestry (LIF) weekend.  It’s not a job, but an… Read More »

• Indian Pipe

October 28th 2009
    This is also my first time seeing Indian Pipe.  In my case I found it in what seems to be an unusual place.  It is located in a partially shaded area beside pine trees that… Read More »

• Mill Prices: Autumn 2009

October 27th 2009
    I periodically buy a logging truck load of mixed hardwood [not saw-log grade] to buck up for firewood. How can I find out going prices to know I am paying a fair price? Read More »

• Indian Pipe

October 27th 2009
    Thanks for mentioning that Indian Pipes turn black after ripening. That solved a mystery for me: I had found blackened pipe shapes under a beech tree and wondered if it was another type of non-choropytic… Read More »

• Return of the Moose

October 23rd 2009
    I expect a post hunt update, Dave. Read More »

• Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation

October 22nd 2009
    Brad from Charlevoix? How do I hook my hot tub up to my wood burner? I know I can do it, just can’t find instructions on how? ;o) Read More »

October 19th 2009
    All of Vicky‚Äôs comments are nullified by the fact that she thinks global warming is true.  It is the biggest crock in the history of man kind. Yes some of the early OWB built in… Read More »

• Lynx and Logging

October 19th 2009
    Visit my site for new information on insect outbreaks.  I would be interested in your comments as I am not quite sure that I am right in my evaluation of the cause of outbreaks.  My… Read More »

October 18th 2009
    I would encourage the burning of wood, and do…BUT…responsibly. A simple test of ANY wood burning appliance, to see if it is efficiently burning ...is…if a lighted rag or torch is placed at the outlet… Read More »