Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Roca Welch
Oct 12, 2015
My oak is having a mast year and has more acorns than in the last 10 years. However, the last year was a terrible oak moth year. We lost many oaks in the area due to drought and the caterpillars. I’…

From "Woods Whys: Acorns and Weather" »

Virginia Kropas
Oct 12, 2015
I moved 3 sweetfern from a friend’s property in Maine (with permission) 3 summers ago.  Only one survived and it is pretty magnificent with new babies/suckers this summer.  I have it right at the entrance to yard so…

From "Sweetfern, Comptonia peregrina" »

suzi
Oct 11, 2015
My doctor read an article about mining timber from lakes (he thinks in New England)...he mentioned something about blue wood. He wants to build his own house. I surf the web and offered to look for him since he…

From "Field Work: At Work Mining Timber with Tom Shafer" »

Connie
Oct 09, 2015
Today, Oct 8 I noticed a willow that appeared to be fluffy and was shining in the sun.  Upon closer observation, it was actually covered in fluffy cotton which seemed to be pushing out of tiny seed capsules along the…

From "Pussy Willow, Salix discolor" »

Flip Viljoen
Oct 08, 2015
I need to fell a 50ft 13inch diameter dead pine very accurately into a 30ft gap. It leans 3ft in the desired direction of fall and 2ft in the most damaging direction. How must the hinge be altered/enhanced on…

From "Bore Cutting Basics" »

Steve B.
Oct 07, 2015
I’m in agreement with most all of you. People and large-scale agriculture will be following the water. Right now, people are leaving Aroostook County, Maine because the agriculture there is now largely mechanized (mostly potato and grain farming) and…

From "Envisioning Vermont in 2065" »

Laura Eisener
Oct 06, 2015
I’ve had this growing in my garden for about 15 years, and have to say it does have garden merit. The large leaves provide a bold texture contrast which is often needed in the landscape - mine is planted next…

From "The Humble (yet Devilish) Hobblebush" »

Stephen Wilder
Oct 03, 2015
I am in agreement that there is going to be an overwhelming flow of refugees from the urban environments due to flooding and food shortages and general disruption of distribution systems. The influx of refugees in Vermont and upstate NY…

Jon Harris
Oct 03, 2015
Your vision is more likely, for Vermont or Maine. I don’t see it as dim. It just reflects the way people behave. Just the same, prediction is no science. Could the world of today have been predicted in 1965?

Tim McKay
Oct 03, 2015
Some sort of migration due to climate change will certainly happen, but it will be more gradual than the sudden influx of refugees we see in Europe. The biggest driver will be water, or the lack thereof, both in terms…

Carolyn
Oct 03, 2015
I’m inclined to agree with your dimmer view, because it’s what’s already happening in Vermont (e.g., “local planning boards would be coopted by people who wanted in on some version of the rural Vermont experience”). I…

Nicholas Boke
Oct 02, 2015
I cannot imagine how the kind of economic and social catastrophes that are likely to accompany the impact of severe climate change will be positive. I think the on-the-ground European response to the current refugee crisis is likely to take…

Carla and Bob Brown
Oct 02, 2015
A year ago we bought 100 acres in the highlands of middle Ontario and noticed this tree that we had never seen before. Research showed that it is this black birch. We had heard about it before but thought it was…

From "Black Birch: Betula lenta" »

Dan
Sep 30, 2015
My log home building instructor was adamant that logs for a home must be cut in the late fall and winter. Yes the sap is down and it will be hard to peel at that time of year but it…

From "Peeling Logs" »

Z Gates
Sep 29, 2015
If you’re worried about animals browsing, why not make your cuts @ 6’ above ground? As long as you’ve got a good root system, it should be stable—I’m judging by the centuries-old stave orchards in western europe who…

From "Coppicing for Firewood" »

Tiffany
Sep 29, 2015
Hey Benjamin! Great article. I too harvested cattails this spring and found them to be such a rewarding and tasty food. I loved reading your descriptions and process of harvesting. Thanks for sharing.

From "Cattail Rhizome: Flour from the Marsh" »

Justin
Sep 28, 2015
The problem is that deer are approximately 10 times more numerous now than they were “over the ages.” Most reputable wildlife scientists put pre-Columbian white-tailed deer densities east of the Mississippi at about 1-5 million. We now have approximately 25-50 million.…

From "Deer Love Ginseng to Death" »

Augustas
Sep 28, 2015
I would really suggest using a electric chainsaw for close-to-house use. Much quicker, no hassle with fuel or carburetor issues after long storage. Just plug in and you’re all set to go. It is really good for firewood. I…

From "Tricks of the Trade: Basic Chainsaw Maintenance" »

Jason
Sep 28, 2015
So can you heat the tea once you’ve steeped it or do you have to drink it cold?

From "Tasty Teas (and More) from Trees: Black and Yellow Birch" »

Alice
Sep 28, 2015
I was sitting on my porch talking with my friend (Drake) and I saw a PANTHER go mock 10 across my lawn and LEAP over the fence that leads into the horse pasture. My bffs (Hillary and Lidia) saw two mountain…

From "Waiting for Wolves" »