Recent Discussions

• Flower Show in the Woods

April 30th 2010
    Those are beautiful photographs.  Thanks for sharing them. Read More »

• Maple Slugs It Out With Ash

April 30th 2010
    If I’m not mistaken, the growth of bat-quality ash has been compromised by the emerald ash borer, as well, providing maple another opportunity to gain a foothold in the marketplace.  The future of baseball bats… Read More »

• Growing Shiitake Mushrooms: Step-by-Step Guide to an Agroforestry Crop

April 23rd 2010
    just beginning to actively grow my own shiitake, I have a successful, robust garlic farm, and am excited to begin this new endeavor, wish me luck Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 22nd 2010
    I have been involved with invasive control on my property through the WHIP program. It drives me crazy to go to any of the local nurseries and find them selling some of the things I… Read More »

• Black Birch: Betula lenta

April 21st 2010
    Would you know of any sources for black birch (Betula lenta) bark? I’m an essential oil distiller, looking for raw material. Thanks Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 18th 2010
    A local nature center recently took up the task of trying to eradicate the Autumn Olive that had overrun the landscape there so it could be restored to its natural environment.  They did an impressive… Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 18th 2010
    Autumn olive is an excellent wild edible.  I do not discourage it on my property—I harvest it.  I use the berries to make an excellent jelly.  Friends of mine use them to make delicious fruit… Read More »

• What Do Tree Roots Do in Winter?

April 18th 2010
    Tree roots grow, and many times pipes are made of clay.  Strong growing roots easily permeate clay.  The roots will not just enter that one spot; they have the potential to be surrounding the pipe. … Read More »

• Pitch Pine, Pinus rigida

April 17th 2010
    Growing up on Cape Cod, pitch pine will always be a favorite species. On the Outer Cape (where soil is literally nonexistent), the tree still dominates, forming vast barrens of gnarled, stubby trees underscored by… Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 17th 2010
    I’m a native Cape Codder and can offer some perspective on what an area can come to look like after nonnatives have had centuries to settle in. On my parents’ 4 and 1/2 acre plot… Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 17th 2010
    Our tree farm’s major invasives are buckthorn, multiflora, Japanese barberry, and autumn olive. We have a lovely colony of fringed gentian that pops their beautiful blue flowers up in late September and bloom undaunted through… Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 17th 2010
    Virginia: Other species of once (December 1969) recommended “wildlife plantings” (by the USDA Soil Conservation Service or “SCS”) were Tartarian and Amur Honeysuckle. I came across the pamplet (PA-940) while going through old files. As… Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 16th 2010
    My nemisis is oriental bittersweet. Since my teens I have been roaming forests from Pennsylvania to Maine clipping and yanking the cursed stuff. Once you get an eye for it, you will see it is… Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 16th 2010
    I have a Norway maple on my conscience. (And a house loaded with windows that birds keep trying to fly through!) Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 16th 2010
    Where can I find detailed directions on how to eradicate buckthorn, honeysuckle, and wild rose?  cjf Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 16th 2010
    Virginia, I go to great lengths to locate stands of Japanese knotweed so that I can pick it and eat it fresh and also use as the main ingredient in a wonderful chutney recipe. I… Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 16th 2010
    Southwestern Michigan is over-run with the stuff. AND with garlic mustard.  AND with buckthorn. AND other invasives as well. I have a large woodland farm, conservation easements all in possession of the Southwest Michigan Land… Read More »

• Autumn Olive

April 16th 2010
    I bought a house with AO growing on it, they bought it for the turkeys. I spent 5 years cutting, hacking and mowing. When I sold the place, I warned the new owners about not… Read More »

• Growing Shiitake Mushrooms: Step-by-Step Guide to an Agroforestry Crop

April 16th 2010
    inoculated logs last spring. lots of mycilium showing on logs and bark splitting in spots. theres a few very small shrooms starting to pop. temps are in 60’s day,30’s night. what is the optimum temp.… Read More »

• Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation

April 12th 2010
    “Whoever doesn’t like the smoke needs to move back to the city and inhale the smog there. Burning wood does not produce harmful gasses into the air.”  Respectfully, did you take a close look at… Read More »