Position Announcement: Assistant Executive Director
Northern Woodlands is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to advance a culture of forest stewardship in the Northeast, and to increase understanding of and appreciation for the natural wonders, economic productivity, and ecological integrity of the region’s forests. Our focus is communications. We produce Northern Woodlands magazine, The Outside Story weekly ecology essay series, web content and special publications. Our annual conference brings together prominent writers, naturalists, educators and others interested in natural history and forest stewardship.
The Assistant Executive Director is a new position reporting to the Executive Director, and working closely with her on a day-to-day basis. We’re looking for someone who is highly organized and self-directed, and enjoys working in a creative, collaborative environment. Writing skills are essential, as is a dedication to the Northern Woodlands mission.
This position requires someone who enjoys multitasking and taking on projects big and small. There will be a focus on marketing, grant writing, and project management, as well as various administrative tasks. Occasional travel out-of-state and occasional weekend work are required. Many tasks can be done from a home office, however, frequent meetings with the Executive Director and a minimum two days a week presence at the Northern Woodlands office in Corinth, Vermont are expected. While not preferred, we will consider a part-time arrangement for an outstanding candidate. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Work closely with the Executive Director on fundraising efforts, with a particular focus on grant research, applications and reporting; this also includes administrative support related to two annual fund drives
- Develop and implement strategies to promote the magazine and other Northern Woodlands materials. This includes occasional participation in conferences and other events across New England and other parts of the Northeast, cultivation of advertising and bulk subscription relationships, and development of promotional materials
- Work closely with the Executive Director on strategic planning
- Provide administrative support to all aspects of the Executive Director’s work, from preparing materials for quarterly board meetings to fielding inquiries from third parties and providing on-site support for the annual conference
- Work closely with the Executive Director on new project development related to forest stewardship education. This may include, for example, brainstorming, research, meetings with potential partners, obtaining bids from third parties, outreach to potential funders and project oversight
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Project management experience
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively on complex tasks
- Collaborative skills and the ability to work in a small, informal nonprofit environment
- Computer literacy
- A sense of humor and enthusiasm for Northern Woodlands’ mission
- Demonstrated interest in forests, and forest ecology/forest resource issues
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references (to be contacted for finalists only) to: search(at)northernwoodlands.org. This position will remain open until filled.
Thank you very much for you interest in the Assistant Executive Director position. Although we will continue to review all applications submitted to this address, at this time we are holding interviews, and hope to have filled the position by February.