Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Wendy Bacon
Jul 03, 2015
I have a Great Lakes-style basket of uncertain age, probably of split ash (it’s signed “Ruby Lincoln” on the bottom and might be Menominee or Ho-Chunk).  The material has gotten brittle; what can I use to preserve it?…

From "Rising From the Ashes" »

Vishist Dixit
Jul 03, 2015
This is a very informative article. Makes it simpler to find out the bird from its nest. Check out these amazing bird nests made in the strangest places.

From "Which Bird Made That Nest?" »

Dave
Jul 03, 2015
If the tree was defoliated by insects, or frost, or something external, then it should recover and be fine. If it just didn’t set leaves, it’s a very bad sign. If you still see green you might give…

From "How Do Trees Know When to Leaf Out in the Spring?" »

Michael Landis
Jul 01, 2015
I have 5 maple trees that have not leafed out this year and it is now July 1!  When I break apart some of the branch it is still green.  Is there anything I can do?  Do you think…

From "How Do Trees Know When to Leaf Out in the Spring?" »

Victoria Weber
Jun 30, 2015
Thanks for this new info,  now I wonder if white ash seeds are edible. Trees here are laden with a huge crop of them. When do they fall?  Tricks on opening them? Victoria Weber

From "Maple’s Other Delicacy" »

Greg Cox
Jun 28, 2015
Hi Dave: The dead oaks were probably killed by the combination of gypsy moths and winter moths—a kind of deadly duo where the winter moths defoliate trees in the spring and then the gypsy moths hit them again in…

From "On The Coast" »

Gaby Pelletier
Jun 28, 2015
A very enjoyable article. I have attended the Basket Exhibit and Sale in Bar Harbor since 2000 until the last few years when circumstances have not permitted me to do so. How wonderful to see the continued evolution in the quality…

From "Rising From the Ashes" »

Blaise
Jun 28, 2015
We have one following after it’s adopted parents. Even with seed covering the ground this little jerk still demanded to be fed. Felt sorry for him until I found proof of what I suspected. What an a-hole!

From "Birds in Focus: Pawning off Parenting" »

Marg Carruthers
Jun 28, 2015
Excellent article!  I like to read what is happening that is positive on the international forestry front.

From "Community Forestry in Guatemala" »

Marg Carruthers
Jun 28, 2015
What a cool article!  I’ve lived around maples most of my life and would never have guessed the seeds were edible.

Robert Hack
Jun 27, 2015
That’s a nice explanation between an axe and maul. Many don’t even know the type of tool they’re using when they cut wood and just assume it’s an axe.

From "Maul vs. Axe" »

Frank
Jun 27, 2015
We called them Polly Noses—we’d take the green ones, split the sticky end where the seed is and then stick them on the ends of our noses. Good times. Never knew we might have eaten them!

Carolyn
Jun 27, 2015
A) “We swam in pounding surf – the kind that knocks you around and humbles you” You must be a hardy specimen to swim in the Atlantic at this time of year! B) “Seabirds – common terns, I guess” Likelier to be…

From "On The Coast" »

Ed Sharron
Jun 26, 2015
I can’t wait to try it!

Thom
Jun 26, 2015
I’ve a problem complicated by another problem. 1. I’ve 2 Spruce with trunk diameters of about 14+ inches. One was blown into, and prevented from falling by, the second such that one tree which is not cut is fully leaning into…

From "Felling Trees Against the Lean" »

Trish Bartlett
Jun 26, 2015
I just found my oak truck covered with head-down, dead gypsy moth caterpillars. 6/26/15. Thank you for the informative article. I will let the spores continue!

From "Entomophaga maimaiga" »

Elise Tillinghast
Jun 25, 2015
Hey there - in response to your question, we contacted a tree expert who helped to fact check this article. He wasn’t able to confirm that Norway maple seeds are edible. So, out of an abundance of caution, best…

Greenleeph
Jun 22, 2015
Is Norway Maple, being non-native, inedible?

Amy Salisbury
Jun 21, 2015
I don’t know a lot about birds, but I found a lovely straw cup shaped nest in a thorny bush 4 or 5 feet up. It had 5 blue speckled/mottled eggs in it. I was pruning the bush back, and I…

From "Which Bird Made That Nest?" »

Richard Sutton
Jun 20, 2015
I have a wild grape growing on my property. The main stem is as big as my upper arm, and it grows huge quantities of vines every season. It also produces, by mid-May, hundreds and hundreds of clusters of tiny…

From "Harvesting the Wild Grape" »