Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Joe Gallo
Aug 14, 2015
Apparently from my own research, Hemlock bark harvesting preceded the major commercial timber harvesting at least in north central PA. Hemlocks that still stood stripped or were downed and yet not rotted were harvested for crate and cheap reconstruction lumber…

From "Hemlock and Hide: The Tanbark Industry in Old New York" »

Cody
Aug 08, 2015
I have a pile of white pine firewood sitting in the yard and recently noticed the shavings that these bugs produced. When I go out at night now I can hear up to a dozen of them sawing away. If…

From "Whitespotted Sawyer" »

Jean
Aug 05, 2015
I put pieces of yarn out last spring, and was not sure if it had been used in any bird nests, but this spring when pruning my gardenia shrub, I found a nest made of coir strands (probably pulled out…

From "Which Bird Made That Nest?" »

Jay
Aug 04, 2015
Good article. I was trying to explain self-pruning to our grandson. We have American Basswood that are 120’ tall – and nary a branch for 60’!! Obviously they DID once. They drop “firewood” pretty regularly. We have Burr Oak that are old enough…

From "Woods Whys: Self-Pruning Branches" »

Ian
Aug 03, 2015
What ratio of linseed oil/turpentine do you use?

From "Make Your Own Axe Handle" »

Susan
Aug 01, 2015
Nancy, from the description given above, it sounds like a shrew! My dog caught one this afternoon. My shrew had black teeth and a pointed head as well. If you managed to hear the capture, it gives out high pitched…

From "Shrew or Mole? Mouse or Vole?" »

Daniel Dykes
Jul 29, 2015
I am new to growing shiitake mushroom and was wondering, how many lbs of mushroom can you expect off of a log? I know it depends on temperature and moisture, but from all I read, the ideal temp is between 5…

From "Growing Shiitake Mushrooms: Step-by-Step Guide to an Agroforestry Crop" »

jon
Jul 28, 2015
Hi, Do you eat the root, stock, or both?

From "Wild Parsnips: A Lesson in Safe Harvesting" »

Cecil Hayes
Jul 28, 2015
I am 52 years old I have lived in a house heated by only wood all but 5 years of my life. When I can’t split wood by hand anymore my time will be up. I believe whether I am swinging…

From "Maul vs. Axe" »

Marg Carruthers
Jul 28, 2015
Excellent article.  We see so little of the birds’ life, don’t we?  At my office, during the daytime, we looked after a clutch of downy woodpeckers who lost their nest tree.  One day while working during…

From "Living on the Fledge" »

Samuel karengo
Jul 27, 2015
I once saw a yellow and black caterpillar which pupates underground. I wonder which moth/butterfly it came from.

From "Transformations: Which Caterpillar Becomes Which Butterfly?" »

Ted Cady
Jul 26, 2015
The graph suggests an interesting evolution of the white pine lumber industry.  There are now, in many places, markets for white pine of less than saw log size.  Also, there are now log grades for white pine. …

From "White Pine Then and Now" »

Ted Cady
Jul 26, 2015
When thinking about white pine then and now, one should keep in mind two things.  First, often agricultural land abandonment was done in two steps.  Active land was used a pasture before being abandoned completely.  Since cows…

Stephen Wilder
Jul 24, 2015
I live on a property in the Catskill Mountains.  White pine seedlings are the only kind I have, in spite of the fact that most of the mature trees on my property are hardwoods.  The deer eat every…

Allan Moniez
Jul 20, 2015
I found a small clump growing in South Orange Reservation, NJ. This is a very cool little plant; I would love to find a way to cultivate them. I am doing a lot of research. I don’t want to…

From "Indian Pipe" »

Natalie
Jul 20, 2015
This morning, a large silkworm moth was struggling to survive in a pet water dish.  I scooped it out and showed it to my husband.  He had been in a hurry to get to the office but this…

From "Giant Silk Moths – Survival of the Fattest" »

Charlene
Jul 17, 2015
Is there a bird other than a Robin that makes a rounded nest with blue eggs? A bird nearby resembled a lark.

From "Which Bird Made That Nest?" »

Lane
Jul 13, 2015
Can someone advise me? Every year I have mourning doves that nest on my patio and raise babies. This year in May that built a nest, laid 2 eggs, after a couple of weeks they abandoned it. The eggs were left…

From "The Secret Life of the Mourning Dove" »

Robin Follette
Jul 13, 2015
I remember the oaks that lined our street dying when I was a child. It didn’t change just the side of the street, it changed the feel of our neighborhood. I’m living in a different part of Maine…

From "Elms on the Rebound?" »

Helen Downing
Jul 11, 2015
Hope someone reads this: it’s July and no one is probably decorating their Xmas tree! Milkweed fluff makes great “snow” to toss on your tree! Just pick the dried pods before they have been completely relieved of their precious…

From "Do Right By Your Christmas Tree" »