Recent Discussions

• What Do Tree Roots Do in Winter?

March 11th 2010
    All parts of a tree grow relatively slowly, so no, if you trim a tree’s root system, the roots you cut will not grow back in two weeks. I’m not sure i understand the whole… Read More »

• Predicting Fishless Lakes

March 11th 2010
    The trees may hang on for a little while, but they will eventually die (check out all the dead tree stems in a beaver flowage for a real-world example.) Read More »

• Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation

March 7th 2010
    Great article!  Gasification wood boilers are often left out of discussions about OWBs and wood burning regulations. I have been using a Tarm gasification wood boiler for the last 4 years and constructed my own… Read More »

• Predicting Fishless Lakes

March 6th 2010
    Question: I want to construct a farm pond and will have to remove some trees. If I left some of the larger trees, 1ft - 3ft in diameter, mainly oaks and maples in the pond… Read More »

• What Do Tree Roots Do in Winter?

March 6th 2010
    Can you give me any info on tree root growth in warmer climates.  My mother had a problem with her sewer line and a plumbing contractor came out and charged her to clear the line. … Read More »

• Is Feeding for the Birds?

March 3rd 2010
    I’ve been feeding the birds (mostly Eurasian collared doves) for about a year now. Yesterday my neighbor came over and said the birds are “pooping” all over her porch and steps. Of course, they do… Read More »

• The Haitian Landscape

March 1st 2010
    I don’t know of any references off the top of my head, Derek, but i’ve sent a few requests out to others who might be able to help. I’ll update this post if i learn… Read More »

• How Do You Know When To Tap Your Trees?

March 1st 2010
    Thanks for this explanation! I’ve always wanted to know, even though I don’t sugar. Of course, it raises the question, How do you know it’s time to stop (assuming the holes don’t get plugged)? Read More »

• Wood Pellets

February 28th 2010
    Having burned pellets for 3 years now, I can say I will not burn oil again in the future. Oil is more expensive than firewood, which I also use, however my biggest concern is the… Read More »

• Ice Fishing

February 26th 2010
    Thanks for posting this!  I really like your blog!! Steve Common Cents http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com Read More »

• Where the Trees Grow Tall and Straight

February 26th 2010
    Wendy, I asked a forester who was familiar with your area about cherry stands and he says that there are several areas of the NYS Forest Preserve where cherry is the predominate species. The Mongaup… Read More »

• Anatomy of an Ice-damaged Sugar Maple

February 25th 2010
    Very nice article and blog. Read More »

• The Haitian Landscape

February 20th 2010
    Many thanks Mr. Mance for this article.  Upon my return from Haiti after the earthquake (as part of the CARICOM reconnaissance team), the devastated landscape was obvious from the air, in addition to the many… Read More »

• Why Ruffed Grouse Take Winter in Stride

February 20th 2010
    Of all my years living in Maine I have never seen more than two Grouse at a time other than a mother hen and her brood. Recently I have noticing two hens and one male… Read More »

• Forests Can't Fight Climate Change

February 15th 2010
    The carbon cycle that involves forests and trees is more complicated than most understand it to be.  And, while forest growth certainly cannot solve the climate problem, the incremental loss of forest cover and services… Read More »

• The Haitian Landscape

February 15th 2010
    Thank you Mr. Mance for this article! I have been trying to encourage those I know in permaculture fields to consider Haiti as a project to consider helping with. With sound Biodynamic growing practices I… Read More »

February 13th 2010
    Mr Wooster, Thank you for writing that.  Public misunderstanding of the carbon cycle is deeply troubling.  Perhaps your article will help to open peoples’ eyes and minds. Over the long term, forests are carbon neutral.… Read More »

February 13th 2010
    Agree with Chuck’s points and am glad to see them stated so clearly and succinctly.  There is one point I would like to add- that burning wood for fuel does displace burning fossil fuels, and… Read More »

February 12th 2010
    Thanks for the thoughtful analysis of forest management and global warming.  As we try to figure out the right thing to do with our northern forest land, Sandy and I have been “literature tourists” on… Read More »

February 12th 2010
    I think the title of this article is unfortunate and confuses some of the good points in the article. I think what you meant is “Forests can’t stop climate change on their own.” Agreed. But… Read More »