Recent Discussions

• Wishing Only the Best for Her Porcupine

December 12th 2009
    When first married, we ate lots of porcupine pot roasts. After a few helpings, one remembers how the den trees smell which cuts the appetite. Too many porcupines in an area can have a significant… Read More »

• Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation

December 12th 2009
    I moved after living in 1 location 23 years due to outdoor stove no neighbors had a stove in new location for 4 years now there is no clean air to breath even inside my… Read More »

• First Snow

December 11th 2009
    Well said! Read More »

• Wishing Only the Best for Her Porcupine

December 11th 2009
    We don’t have porcupines this far south; down here, our sympathies for poor dumb creatures go to the ‘possum. I think there’s something in most people’s psyche that makes them root for tough little under-dogs… Read More »

• First Snow

December 11th 2009
    To me nothing in the world of weather can compare to a pre-holiday snowfall, as captured so well here by Dave.  Thanks for whitening my day! Read More »

December 10th 2009
    All people who have the property and ability to pay for and operate a wood stove or OWB (requires money and labor no matter what your circumstance), in compliance with the local and state regulations,… Read More »

• L-O-L-A Lola?

December 7th 2009
    Hermaphrodites happen - even in humans. What isn’t natural is “transgender.” It is not a chance of nature to have some doctors mutilating a human body to subvert nature’s choice. Read More »

December 6th 2009
    The crux of the whole outdoor woodstove issue centers on emissions. Tier 2 ( White Tag ) standards go a long long way to addressing this problem. You can see a you-tube of a Garn… Read More »

• L-O-L-A Lola?

December 4th 2009
    A good object lesson for people who get worked up over sexual ambiguity in humans. Gender-bending occurs throughout the animal and plant kingdoms. (Plants, especially, have some interesting arrangements!) Mother Nature is nothing if not… Read More »

• Opening Camp

December 1st 2009
    The warmth of gas lights, the smell of pot roast, the barrel stove wafting through the night air and really good friends. To look forward to it only once a year is hardly often enough. … Read More »

• In Sight of the Property Line

November 23rd 2009
    A couple years ago, my partner was riding her horse on our land when she came in contact with what appear to be thin kite string.  On further investigation I found our entire southern boundary… Read More »

• Bears Fattening Up for Winter’s Slumber

November 23rd 2009
    Foundation near logging road doesn’t sound like optimal bear den site, Carol, but you never know. It could have been. Check out this video: http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8320000/8320414.stm Read More »

November 23rd 2009
    Thank you for this article. Having lost several feeders this year to hungry bears, we’ve been wondering how/when they operate so we can manage our bird feeding appropriately. The information provided answers our questions. Read More »

November 23rd 2009
    The key concept here seems to be: “one would hope that common courtesy and common sense would rule the day.” Indeed. As a landowner of gateway property to other people’s hunting grounds, and who is… Read More »

November 22nd 2009
    Would it be possible for the author to quote the appropriate section of a state’s (Vermont’s for example) legal code that allows the surveyor the “legal and professional right to trespass”? Read More »

November 21st 2009
    I always enjoy reading your magazine and online stories, and I found the article about bears fattening up for the winter very informative.  I found the delay of embryo development amazing. However, remembering back to… Read More »

November 20th 2009
    My significant other and I have hiked the old logging roads and woodlands of Antrim NH, and over to Windsor via woods roads, and bushwhacking..overland; we have seen many claw scratched trees…but have not found… Read More »

November 20th 2009
    If good manners and common sense are to triumph, it seems to me that they should start with the surveyor. What he considers “just brush”, may have far greater value in the eyes of the… Read More »

• Crown Gall, Agrobacterium tumefaciens

November 20th 2009
    Some pathogenic organism are acting non pathogenic. How it is possible…? Read More »

• Opening Camp

November 18th 2009
    I think Rock has is right. The hunt adds its own unique flavor, but the “getting away” part is probably universal, and is just as he describes. Read More »