Recent Discussions

• Tale of the Tick: How Lyme Disease is Expanding Northward

April 10th 2010
    Just a note to say that ticks are active for longer periods than some information suggests. We have found ticks on people and dogs every month of the year except January and February. The dogs… Read More »

• Plant-Eating Apparitions

April 9th 2010
    ‘Only eight [...] walkingstick species are found in North America.’ Actually, it’s about 30. Read More »

• Redwings Are Back, Staking Out Territory

April 6th 2010
    Growing up in Orange, Vermont, back in the 50’s, I took an early interest in the birds.  This was due in part to having a father that taught me at an early age the names… Read More »

• Psoriasis of Spring

April 3rd 2010
    You captured the feel of spring with great accuracy…up north I did get one more run of some really rich syrup making on Good Friday…but then I pulled my taps.  It was 85 degrees and… Read More »

• Psoriasis of Spring

April 2nd 2010
    Lovely essay. Captures the sense of things just right. Except for one detail: 4 months of winter? Not in these parts! Even though it was light compared to other winters, I count six! Read More »

• Psoriasis of Spring

April 2nd 2010
    Hi Dave: Just want to comment on your Psoriasis of Spring. I really enjoy your vivid analogies of this year’s spring or rather pre-spring. It seems particularly true this year because of the early departure… Read More »

• Psoriasis of Spring

April 2nd 2010
    Nice piece, Dave Mance. Yes winter is long and brutal and hardest part comes at the end; darkest before the dawn. Emerging from a car wreck analogy is apt… We emerge cautiously, squinting in bright… Read More »

• Black Birch: Betula lenta

March 27th 2010
    How much is it to buy black birch wood for use? Read More »

• A New Threat for Peregrine Falcons?

March 26th 2010
    What was unexpected was the amount of deca-BDE in the falcon eggs. Although total PBDE remained steady over the 10-year study, concentrations of deca-BDE, once thought to be too big a molecule to cross cell… Read More »

• Why Sap Runs

March 22nd 2010
    Charlie Levesque, of Antrim, NH, submitted the following comment, which was otherwise blocked by our website security filter: Great technical review of the physics of how we get sap for maple syrup making.  The one… Read More »

• Why Sap Runs

March 22nd 2010
    the air space inside a maple tree is what makes sap flow possible; most other trees don’t have the same internal arrangement, so they don’t “run.” this air space also keeps a maple from exploding,… Read More »

• Beware of Encroaching Forests

March 22nd 2010
    James: When we converted a similarly sized area of pine to pasture about 4 years ago, we had an excavator pop the stumps and then a bulldozer with a grill-like rake mounted to the blade… Read More »

March 20th 2010
    Commendable and readable essay by C.W.. As to the question posed by Jim, I don’t have an answer, just some thoughts. I haven’t seen what a mulcher leaves behind, but landscape mulch, such as shredded… Read More »

• Why Sap Runs

March 19th 2010
    This is the most complete explanation I’ve seen to date, but I’m having trouble envisioning the physics of it. In most situations, the expansion associated with the change in state from liquid to solid would… Read More »

March 19th 2010
    For James in New Brunswick: a controlled burn works quite well to reduce and consume the mulched brush, and this method leaves the nutrients behind to go back into the soil: a win-win. Read More »

March 19th 2010
    Not only are the woods constantly growing and creeping in on us but also they have a tendency to fall down on our houses, power lines, and cars. Definitely a reason to beware the encroaching… Read More »

• Why Sap Runs

March 19th 2010
    Thanks for the info. I’ve always wondered how it works! Read More »

• Which Bird Made That Nest?

March 19th 2010
    This is a very well thought-out article.  I’m doing some research on birds for a Cub Scout project. I found some info in here that will help as I work up an outdoor adventure for… Read More »

March 19th 2010
    I have 72 acres in New Brunswick, Canada, which was clearcut about 3 years ago. It is a back lot with a right of way. Thanksgiving last, I had a mulcher cut in a road… Read More »

• Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation

March 12th 2010
    Getting back into the fray….Those who make complain that “Outdoor Wood Burners” (OWBs) are smoke and pollution belchers are unfortunately for the most part quite correct. I have one. It produces lots of smoke, sometimes… Read More »