Recent Discussions

• Increasing the Value of a Penny

August 21st 2009
    Well, I guess we know the truth now. Read More »

• Increasing the Value of a Penny

August 21st 2009
    Besides throwing them out, this is actually a pretty good use for a penny - however, I think it is actually a felony to destroy money :) Read More »

• Truck Diving Bear

August 17th 2009
    Unsuccessfully tried to outsmart the bear by hanging the feeders high with rope and pulley. He climbed one tree and grabbed the line with his mouth and shook it until the feeders fell. Next time,… Read More »

• Felling Trees Against the Lean

August 11th 2009
    I understand the idea of a wedge and shim, however, the trees I am taking down are only between,7”-9” in diameter, some are back leaning and seem too small to use a wedge, as soon… Read More »

• Indian Pipe

August 10th 2009
    I’ve also just discovered some today in our woods in Farmington, Maine.  We’ve been here for 20 years and I’ve never seen them before! Could all the rain have something to do with their appearance? … Read More »

• Truck Diving Bear

August 10th 2009
    I’m very happy to hear, Carolyn, that I’m not the only one with half-empty juice bottles in my truck. I think a wildlife biologist would tell you that the bear will be back—it’s just a… Read More »

• Alarms Ring As Borer and Beetle Move This Way

August 8th 2009
    Color photos of both insects, to scale, and images or illustrations of their symptoms and effects in the trees, would be very helpful the layman, and easy to pass around via the Net. Read More »

• Truck Diving Bear

August 7th 2009
    We lived in our rural hilltown for 11 years without sighting a bear—and still haven’t seen one—although we awoke in April to a demolishment akin to what Dave reports. In this case, bird feeders (several,… Read More »

• Indian Pipe

August 4th 2009
    I live in an artist condo in Newtonville, MA (a town west of Boston). We have a number of groups of Indian Pipes under dense undergrowth. This is the fist year I have seen them… Read More »

• Wet Weather Wondering

August 4th 2009
    Thanks, all, for your comments. This is very interesting . . .. Read More »

• For Uncommon Beauty, Nothing Beats the Orchid

August 2nd 2009
    I would like to make contact with Charles Johnson as he is part of the family tree I am collating in New Zealand. If I have the right Charles, his mother was Margaret and his… Read More »

• Wet Weather Wondering

August 1st 2009
    We’ve noticed most of the phenomena and effects Dave mentioned; also, it seems that many perennials are blooming earlier than normal. The first tell-tale red leaves in the middle of the green canopy, which usually… Read More »

• Wet Weather Wondering

July 31st 2009
    We have a pretty big stocked pond on our property and very skinny rainbows and brookies this year.  So we KNOW that hatches are down due to the daily and nightly drenchings.  Nor is the… Read More »

• Wet Weather Wondering

July 31st 2009
    I think the reason for the lack of mosquitoes, at least in Lincoln, is due to the fact that we have had rain almost daily which washes out the pools of standing water before the… Read More »

• Indian Pipe

July 31st 2009
    I have read a lot of articles on this plant, but no one seems to know that this plant is known as a ghost plant because it glows in the dark. Read More »

• Wet Weather Wondering

July 29th 2009
    Dave—It occurs to me that these successive summers of substantial moisture, paired with relatively mild winters that have featured long-season snow cover, must be about optimal for tree growth. I’m seeing enormous growth of white… Read More »

• Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation

June 26th 2009
    Hey Vicky, By this time next year I will have installed a wind turbine to supply electricity to my house, hot tub, barn, and my outside wood boiler. Are you going to have a problem… Read More »

• ‘Barkscapes’: Miniature Worlds Teeming With Life

June 9th 2009
    Yes! Bark is indeed wonderful! Of course, the bark of a dead tree is even more interesting than that of a live one, though, then the poor tree itself is gone, alas! Hello, Mr. Amos!… Read More »

• What Should I Plant?

June 5th 2009
    University of Rhode Island has a list of sustainable trees and shrubs. It can be found here: http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/sustplant.html Read More »

• The Great North Woods Coffee Maker Massacre

June 5th 2009
    LOVE this article! The writer managed to capture the all too real safety issues of chainsawing and make me laugh at the same time. My husband’s wanted a chain saw for years and I won’t… Read More »