Recent Discussions

• Wet Weather Wondering

August 1st 2009
    We’ve noticed most of the phenomena and effects Dave mentioned; also, it seems that many perennials are blooming earlier than normal. The first tell-tale red leaves in the middle of the green canopy, which usually… Read More »

• Wet Weather Wondering

July 31st 2009
    We have a pretty big stocked pond on our property and very skinny rainbows and brookies this year.  So we KNOW that hatches are down due to the daily and nightly drenchings.  Nor is the… Read More »

• Wet Weather Wondering

July 31st 2009
    I think the reason for the lack of mosquitoes, at least in Lincoln, is due to the fact that we have had rain almost daily which washes out the pools of standing water before the… Read More »

• Indian Pipe

July 31st 2009
    I have read a lot of articles on this plant, but no one seems to know that this plant is known as a ghost plant because it glows in the dark. Read More »

• Wet Weather Wondering

July 29th 2009
    Dave—It occurs to me that these successive summers of substantial moisture, paired with relatively mild winters that have featured long-season snow cover, must be about optimal for tree growth. I’m seeing enormous growth of white… Read More »

• Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation

June 26th 2009
    Hey Vicky, By this time next year I will have installed a wind turbine to supply electricity to my house, hot tub, barn, and my outside wood boiler. Are you going to have a problem… Read More »

• ‘Barkscapes’: Miniature Worlds Teeming With Life

June 9th 2009
    Yes! Bark is indeed wonderful! Of course, the bark of a dead tree is even more interesting than that of a live one, though, then the poor tree itself is gone, alas! Hello, Mr. Amos!… Read More »

• What Should I Plant?

June 5th 2009
    University of Rhode Island has a list of sustainable trees and shrubs. It can be found here: http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/sustplant.html Read More »

• The Great North Woods Coffee Maker Massacre

June 5th 2009
    LOVE this article! The writer managed to capture the all too real safety issues of chainsawing and make me laugh at the same time. My husband’s wanted a chain saw for years and I won’t… Read More »

June 1st 2009
    Let’s really be clear Brad. Your argument in favor of OWBs is centered around yourself. First of all, wind changes but the excessive smoke and carcinogenic particulates scatter and hover all around neighborhoods, especially on… Read More »

• Lynx and Logging

May 31st 2009
    Silly Environmentalists, Hares are for Lynx! Once again, the knee jerk, thoughtless “environmental” (keyword being “mental”) movement saves us from ourselves to the detriment of everything around it. When are thoughtful, concerned conservationists going to… Read More »

• Lumber, Chips, and Sawdust: For Sawmills, There's No Such Thing as Waste

May 31st 2009
    i have a very nice modern hardwood mill,in excellent condition, for sale. it is located in fryburg,maine. the mill sits on 16 acres with extensive rail siding. recently,the state has approved this as a pine… Read More »

May 31st 2009
    Visit http://www.burningissues.org for important information, along with http://rawsep.spaces.live.com http://www.cleanairhudson.com We’ll be proud of our neighbors when they use clean energy, rather than burning wood that creates black carbon soot. Read More »

May 31st 2009
    Tests done by the Northeast States for Coordinated Air Use Management (NESCAUM) found that the average fine particle emissions (a particularly harmful pollutant) from one OWB are equivalent to the emissions from 22 EPA certified… Read More »

• Lynx and Logging

May 29th 2009
    The Snowshoe hare is the food base for this cat. They become tame, desperate the first season of a cyclic crash. This is usually when they are photographed in such places as Alaska. I have… Read More »

• Chainsaw Guide Bar Maintenance

May 24th 2009
    Make sure the oiler is working and chain is not too dull. Wes Read More »

• Woodland Invasives: Doing Battle with Non-Native Plants

May 21st 2009
    My yard borders a small natural woodland. I’ve been busy pulling out mustard garlic and would like to identify some of the beautiful native flowers that populate the area. Read More »

• Birch Leafminer, Fenusa pusilla

May 13th 2009
    The birch leaf miner article was forwarded to me by a colleague to whom I had complained about the disappearance of birches during my youth in northern Westchester County (NY). I was delighted to learn… Read More »

April 30th 2009
    I would like to clear a few things up. I have actually installed a OWB in 1999, I have invested $7500.00 in the system. This includes a 16 by 32 wood storage barn, all the… Read More »

• Rediscovering a Long-Gone Forest: An Interview with Charlie Cogbill

April 25th 2009
    I enjoy this intensely creative, insightful kind of eco-detective work. I worked at Hubbard Brook before Charlie and met some of the Wilder Thorton old-timers who remembered the forest on Mt. Cushman well including the… Read More »