Recent Discussions

• Mill Prices: Autumn 2009

October 30th 2009
    Over in Southwestern Vermont one logger friend of mine is getting $700 a load. This works out to about 7 cords, or $100 a cord. Word on the street has it that wood is a… Read More »

• What Do Deer Want?

October 29th 2009
    I first heard of Ms. Thomas and her book when she was a guest on a local radio, call-in program. She continually voiced the fact that she gained her vast knowledge about deer by looking… Read More »

• New Feathers, New Look

October 28th 2009
    Wow. The things you can learn from reading this magazine. It’s only my first issue and already I’m amazed. I had no idea that our birds molted and changed their plumage to suit various purposes.… Read More »

• Logging at the Fair

October 28th 2009
    Hi Lora, I was there Friday with with a chainsaw filing, safety,and felling demonstration. I hope you can make it November 19-21 for the Low Impact Forestry (LIF) weekend.  It’s not a job, but an… Read More »

• Indian Pipe

October 28th 2009
    This is also my first time seeing Indian Pipe.  In my case I found it in what seems to be an unusual place.  It is located in a partially shaded area beside pine trees that… Read More »

• Mill Prices: Autumn 2009

October 27th 2009
    I periodically buy a logging truck load of mixed hardwood [not saw-log grade] to buck up for firewood. How can I find out going prices to know I am paying a fair price? Read More »

• Indian Pipe

October 27th 2009
    Thanks for mentioning that Indian Pipes turn black after ripening. That solved a mystery for me: I had found blackened pipe shapes under a beech tree and wondered if it was another type of non-choropytic… Read More »

• Return of the Moose

October 23rd 2009
    I expect a post hunt update, Dave. Read More »

• Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation

October 22nd 2009
    Brad from Charlevoix? How do I hook my hot tub up to my wood burner? I know I can do it, just can’t find instructions on how? ;o) Read More »

October 19th 2009
    All of Vicky‚Äôs comments are nullified by the fact that she thinks global warming is true.  It is the biggest crock in the history of man kind. Yes some of the early OWB built in… Read More »

• Lynx and Logging

October 19th 2009
    Visit my site for new information on insect outbreaks.  I would be interested in your comments as I am not quite sure that I am right in my evaluation of the cause of outbreaks.  My… Read More »

October 18th 2009
    I would encourage the burning of wood, and do…BUT…responsibly. A simple test of ANY wood burning appliance, to see if it is efficiently burning ...is…if a lighted rag or torch is placed at the outlet… Read More »

• Whey to Help Hemlocks

October 13th 2009
    Hi Chris, We are still moving forward. This year we conducted a test in TN and the preliminary results look promising! Scott Costa .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)/*','a','/','','\"',' 117',' 100',' 101','… Read More »

• Why Is the Treeline at a Higher Elevation in the Tetons than in the White Mountains?

October 13th 2009
    Jeff- I’m not sure that’s correct either. I grew up in interior Alaska where temps went well below -40C and treeline is higher than along the coast which has a more moderate temperature. My guess… Read More »

October 12th 2009
    Vicky - just wanted to let you know that the Globe has been consistently cooling for the past 10 years and now some of the major atmospheric researchers believe we may be in for a… Read More »

• What Do Deer Want?

October 10th 2009
    I totally agree with Carolyn. She articulated the position perfectly.  I am an animal lover, volunteer at a wildlife rehab center and rarely eat meat for health purposes. If I were to eat meat, I… Read More »

• What Do Deer Want?

October 9th 2009
    I come from the protected, sanitized suburbs, raised to abhor the killing of anything for any reason (meanwhile virtuously buying my meat in plastic wrap at the supermarket). When we moved to rural Vermont, one… Read More »

• Indian Pipe

October 6th 2009
    I was in the Allegheny National Forest, North West Pennsylvania back in the mid 80’s. We found this plant in abundance in the forest. We used it to mark trails at night because of it… Read More »

• Their Goal: Saving the Butternut Tree

October 2nd 2009
    I can’t find recipes anywhere for butternuts. Can you help me find at least one recipe if not more? Thank You Read More »

September 29th 2009
    There are people out there who will not be happy till we are once again rolling in our own filth like animals. Don’t try and reason with that type. Theirs is a faith based religion,… Read More »