Recent Discussions

• Forests Can't Fight Climate Change

February 12th 2010
    Interesting and good article. There is a lot of confusion about what’s good and what’s not, as you note. Can you expand on the 80 percent fossil fuels part and talk about the move to… Read More »

• Forests Can't Fight Climate Change

February 12th 2010
    Thank you , Chuck, for putting into words the thoughts I have not been able to express.  It is ironic that the simplest carbon market exchange will reward investors who reforest their cutover land and… Read More »

• The Haitian Landscape

February 12th 2010
    I am always dismayed during reportage of tragedies how infrequently anyone mentions their effect on flora and fauna. Focus is always about people and money. Thanks, Dave, for talking about Haiti as a place occupied… Read More »

• Where the Trees Grow Tall and Straight

February 11th 2010
    My father had died and he used to fly small planes and made almost any thing out of wood, but his favorite is cherry, so I thought to take his ashes up in a plane… Read More »

• Blue Stain, Also Called Sap Stain

February 11th 2010
    Virginia, That was an informative summary that was easy to read.  Can you tell me who is working on the albino strain?  I worked on a project like that with Forintek about 15 years ago… Read More »

• Wood Thrush Needs Help from Java Drinkers

February 10th 2010
    The balance between keeping the natural habitat and forests alive and keeping coffee in the cups of consumers is a delicate one. Personally, I think that more emphasis should be placed on protecting the environment,… Read More »

• Fields Among the Forests: Keeping Open Land Open

February 10th 2010
    A fourth possible option subject to local fire codes would be dividing the field into thirds or quarters by mowing lanes or planting cool season grasses in lanes and performing a controlled burn each year… Read More »

• Fields Among the Forests: Keeping Open Land Open

February 10th 2010
    A fourth possible option subject to local fire codes would be dividing the field into thirds or quarters by mowing lanes or planting cool season grasses in lanes and performing a controlled burn each year… Read More »

• Shagbark Hickory, Carya ovata

February 8th 2010
    I found this article most helpful to me as I operate a small barbecue business. I am dedicated to researching and maintaining traditional “old fashioned” BBQ taste. Now knowing the history of hickory, I am… Read More »

• Bears Fattening Up for Winter’s Slumber

February 3rd 2010
    Why do the un-bred females have there slumber around Christmas? Read More »

• Clearing the Air: Outdoor Wood Boilers Face Regulation

February 3rd 2010
    Whoever doesn’t like the smoke needs to move back to the city and inhale the smog there. Burning wood does not produce harmful gasses into the air. It does not harm the environment.  Fossil fuels… Read More »

• Alarms Ring As Borer and Beetle Move This Way

February 2nd 2010
    Jenny— We recommend you contact UMass Extension to report this finding. Here’s the paragraph from their website, http://www.massnrc.org/PESTS/linkeddocuments/pestalerts/ALB_Aug2008.htm. If you think you have seen this beetle, we encourage you to submit a report and photos,… Read More »

• Hibernation: the Ultimate Winter Survival Tactic

January 29th 2010
    The mention of chipmunks awakening briefly in winter to nibble on their stores immediately brought to mind an incident that happened in the mid 1950’s.  Living on a farm in Orange,Vermont, at that time, my… Read More »

• Hoarfrost

January 29th 2010
    What a wonderful crystal! We had some good hoarfrost last week but nothing like that! A great website for snow crystals is Ken Libbrecht’s (author of Snowflake) http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/books/books.htm Read More »

• Artist Kathleen Kolb

January 27th 2010
    Dave, I just ran across this and was really happy to read what you wrote.  Thanks so much for helping get the word out about the discussion Ann Ferrell lead at Middlebury College a couple… Read More »

• Chainsaw Guide Bar Maintenance

January 26th 2010
    What is the cause for a bar to be grooved and rolled back at the bar and tip junction, after talking to local fellers some have said chain to lose, some say the bar got… Read More »

• Lumber, Chips, and Sawdust: For Sawmills, There's No Such Thing as Waste

January 21st 2010
    Just looking for some sawmills in my area to come bid about eight huge maples for lumber. Read More »

• Ice Fishing

January 20th 2010
    Many thanks to David Mance III for the blog on ice fishing…the piece delighted my senses and awakened, in these old bones, the feelings I had as a young mother watching this wonderful Vermont experience… Read More »

• In Sight of the Property Line

January 14th 2010
    Sorry, Tom. Took me a while to dig up your request. Here it is: Ch. 1 Estates in Real Property T27 (Rights of Entry for Survey) In cases wherein the title of lands, tenements, or… Read More »

• The Long View

January 12th 2010
    I tried to email John Rajala back to continue the discussion and couldn’t find a way to do that. I went to his blog, which is terrific. Click on his name above and you’ll go… Read More »