Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Rebekah
Jan 04, 2016
So happy I stumbled upon this… Love crows!!! Every morning when I take the dog out, the symphony of hundreds of crows chattering away makes me smile.  Always wonder what they are chatting about… I enjoy the articles…

From "Crow Communication is Cawfully Complicated" »

David Gomeau
Jan 04, 2016
We have lived in this little neighborhood for a little over 40 years. In that time the area crows have developed from staying to the outskirts of the neighborhood to now actually nesting right in our back yard now and spend…

Fred Sladen
Jan 04, 2016
Many years ago, I approached a flock of crows feeding at a sewage plant. I was carrying a single shot .22 rifle.  The look-out bird gave the alarm and they all disappeared. Later, I approached the same area where the…

Gary E. Greene
Jan 03, 2016
Everyone seems to see mountain lions in Vermont, so where are all the photos? Everyone has a cell phone today that you can video with. Lets see the proof.

From "Some Suspects in On-Going Catamount Investigation" »

Carol Barss
Jan 02, 2016
1/2/2016, 5:30 pm, I went outside and saw a opossum in my back yard eating the old dog food my husband threw out earlier.  I watch it and it went under a tarp that covers my fire pit and glider, which…

From "Opossums Find Cold Comfort in New England’s Winters" »

Rob Hutchins
Jan 02, 2016
I bought 40 acres a little more than 20 years ago. At that time I had about six Black Birch trees. A forester friend walked my woods and was supersized to see these trees. He said he had not seen these anywhere…

From "Black Birch: Betula lenta" »

Trina
Jan 02, 2016
Hi there, I found a mourning dove sitting on the snow covered ground this morning.  Still alive, but it did not flee, despite my leashed dog.  The bird seemed cold so I brought it in, thinking it would…

From "The Secret Life of the Mourning Dove" »

Carl Chapman
Jan 01, 2016
I live in Atlanta, GA. A 40 ft tall pecan tree (related to hickory) in my neighbor’s back yard was decorated with what I thought was a bioluminescent fungus for a few days beginning December 26, 2015.  It was warm (72 F)…

From "A Light in the Forest" »

Lisa Jean
Dec 30, 2015
I believe I have a shrew living in my house. At first I thought it was a regular mouse, but then I got a good look at it.  It’s approximately 3 inches long, dark in colour, and appears not…

From "Shrew or Mole? Mouse or Vole?" »

Cindy
Dec 29, 2015
We found the Chaga on our yellow birch trees. We used a ladder as Chaga is usually pretty high in the trees. Cone shaped Chaga is easier to saw off than the wider mass type we also found. Once this…

From "Birch polypore, Piptoporus betulinus" »

Dave Coulter
Dec 29, 2015
What a hoot!  Very well done. Laugh-riot comes to mind.  :>}

From "Some Insights Regarding the Aerial Caribou" »

Denise Benson
Dec 29, 2015
Hello, I found a garter snake basking in the heat of our wood stove in the basement. I left out water but am unsure of what else to do. She or he hides in the 3 cords of wood down there.…

From "The Garter Snake: Commonly Seen, Uncommonly Understood" »

Christopher
Dec 29, 2015
We saw what we assume is this, but it was high up on the small branches of a living tree. Is that the same stuff?

From "A Light in the Forest" »

Jerry Norbury
Dec 28, 2015
Michael - not sure if you are still following up on these comments - so here goes. Do you have information on how long it takes for a temperate tree (conifer or deciduous) to achieve dormancy prior to winter? I…

From "How do Trees Survive Winter Cold?" »

Marshall Dudley
Dec 28, 2015
If the trees count chill hours which don’t reach their target until sometime in January, why are our maple and box elder trees in full bloom now just after Christmas?

From "How Do Trees Know When to Wake Up?" »

Lise Beausejour
Dec 27, 2015
I’ve heard of this subspecies many years ago… in fact I am pretty sure I saw foot prints in the snow when I was 8… and I forgot about this animal for decades. Very informative paper, thanks!

Tom P
Dec 25, 2015
For an interesting view on the shamanic origins of flying reindeer and other aspects of Christmas check out this link.  You might not look at red mushrooms the same way.

Kathy Romero
Dec 25, 2015
Love this article!  Merry Christmas!

Cherri
Dec 17, 2015
My home was built in 1908 and my staircase and downstairs trim is completely covered with burled Pine. I can only imagine how long it took to gather enough to decorate my home.  Just makes me appreciate it even more!

From "Go Figure: How Tree Burls Grow" »

melissa charest
Dec 17, 2015
Very useful article, having spent the last several months on my farm rewalking the forested boundaries with my survey. I saw all of the things you wrote about. Now is my chance to do some blazing.

From "Reading Your Boundaries" »