Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Decorative woodsy background

Site Discussions

Peggy
Feb 16, 2016
My skunk lives under the shed but seems to emerge pretty often as he (she?) sets off my outside motion sensor light in the middle of the night w/ his wanderings. Plus I can track his rounds through his prints…

From "The Winter Life of the Skunk" »

SueIris Aripotch
Feb 15, 2016
Hi Michael. Thank you for writing this article. I am grateful to know this, and reading about how the tree is in a wild conversion process in the fall and winter, what effect does tapping maple trees have on their…

From "How do Trees Survive Winter Cold?" »

The Maestro
Feb 13, 2016
We have heated with a Timberline since the middle 1970’s.  Timberline is like a Fisher, but with a baffle plate.  Our Timberline is the largest model (560 pounds).  We heat a Lindal chalet (high ceilings).  We did…

From "Your Thoughts on Woodstoves" »

Judi
Feb 07, 2016
How do you put waterbars in the corduroy road? Do you dig waterbars first, then lay the logs? I have a mucky part keeping me from accessing a stream and the other side. Need a “path” of sorts, plus a…

From "Corduroy Roads" »

weather01089
Feb 06, 2016
There has been a small population of mountain lions present in New England since the 1940s at the least. Some of the older evidence, including an excellent booklet put out by a bobcat hunter in Massachusetts that occasionally would run…

From "Have You Seen A Mountain Lion?" »

Ted Cady
Feb 05, 2016
The procedure discussed is faulty in two ways.  A cord of wood is defined as 4’x4’x8.’  When you cut it to firewood length it will shrink significantly because the cutting “straightens” out the pieces.  The second…

From "How Solid is a Cord of Wood?" »

Randy
Feb 05, 2016
Here we have as many as 170 or more per square mile. I have seen 15 at a time in my yard lately. It’s insane. They eat most of our plants every year if I am not on the ball with…

From "Too Many Whitetails?" »

David Y Parker
Feb 02, 2016
Saw one in 1975 in Brookline.  It was right outside (5’ away) my kitchen picture window—tawny color, long tail out behind, and much bigger than a bobcat.  I went outside and followed it for 500 yds. before it melted into…

Declan McCabe
Feb 02, 2016
Nice article.  Friends of mine who hunt insist they have seen mountain lions.  I think this article goes a long way to explain these sightings…or non sightings.  Nice job.

Patrick
Jan 30, 2016
As one who has tapped tress for forty years, I have never seen the likes of this year.  Wells around the trees prompted me to tap January 30, 2016 and sap is flowing. Thank you for your information.  I found…

From "When is the Best Time for Sugarmakers to Tap their Maple Trees?" »

Robert
Jan 28, 2016
Doug, I haven’t been sugaring for 30 years, but correct me if I’m wrong…the sap we collect comes from the crown of the tree not the root system. As the sun warms the tree gravity or suction pulls…

From "When is the Best Time for Sugarmakers to Tap their Maple Trees?" »

Steve Stathakis
Jan 26, 2016
Stone piles, cairns, walls, and mounds occur all over the eastern seaboard states, inland to Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and perhaps others of which I am unaware. These man-made features on the landscape have been shown, through archaeological investigations, to be…

From "Lost Histories: The Story of New England's Stone Chambers" »

Sophy
Jan 26, 2016
Wow! Never see these butterflies! I hope will see these butterflies in my country.

From "Transformations: Which Caterpillar Becomes Which Butterfly?" »

Cindy Nilsen
Jan 22, 2016
Hello. I stumbled upon this article when conducting some research for general information about Great Horned Owls, because yesterday morning at 6:00, I was on my front porch chatting with one! I was headed out to start my car and in…

From "In January, Owl Courtship Begins" »

Dave Betts
Jan 21, 2016
Large western federal land holdings are always going to be a burr in the saddle of ranchers, timber interests, miners and drillers. No matter how those lands are managed, there will always be those who see untapped natural resources they…

From "Reflections on the Standoff in Oregon" »

Patricia
Jan 20, 2016
I’ve read your article dated 2005 and wondered if you were still available on that subject. I believe I’ve identified the critters to be shrews because of the sound they make…echolocation?? We have them in between our roof …

From "Shrew or Mole? Mouse or Vole?" »

Cindy
Jan 17, 2016
Thanks so much for this article. I have a group of crows that greet me most mornings as I’m going off to work. I call them my guards. I love their calls.

From "Crow Communication is Cawfully Complicated" »

Michael Gow
Jan 17, 2016
Dave, once again you masterfully write about a sensitive subject that avoids victimizing your politically diverse audience.  I appreciate the many comparisons to various happenings around the country; VT and the expansion of the National Forest, SD and the…

Carolyn
Jan 17, 2016
Nice to see someone thinking their way through a complex problem and putting it into broader perspective.

LoufromAveU
Jan 16, 2016
just read your article about live tree cells adapting to very cold, freezing temps.  More pliable cell membranes, increasing osmolarity with retained sugars, and finally the viscous state of the cytoplasmic proteins when frozen.  Would be nice to…

From "Do Tree Stems Freeze in Winter?" »